HELP! Do I need to give up my rabbit bond??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshMayRose

Reaction score
My rabbits accidentally got to each other unsupervised, and they injured each other. Do I have to give up this bond because they hurt each other? My girl has bites on her nose, and she flinches when I touch. My guy has a nasty looking mark under his eye. Should I just go forward from here? Try another bunny? Take a long break?

Could you provide a bit more background? Ages? Neuter status?

Normally an injury inflicting fight can prevent 2 rabbits from bonding in the future. But age and neuter status may affect that. It's possible they could reconcile if they "forget" they don't like each other. That could be accomplished by completely separating them from sight or scent of each other for a number of weeks. Then it's possible that they could do some pre-bonding by living in side-by-side but separate enclosures to get accustomed to each other anew. And then go from there. But it depends on their background.

Both of my buns have been fixed and it has been more than six weeks since their surgeries. My female, Rose, is a little over 6 mo. and my male, Marshmallow, is over 1 year.

Both of my buns have been fixed and it has been more than six weeks since their surgeries. My female, Rose, is a little over 6 mo. and my male, Marshmallow, is over 1 year.

Normally an injury inflicting fight can prevent 2 rabbits from bonding in the future. But age and neuter status may affect that. It's possible they could reconcile if they "forget" they don't like each other. That could be accomplished by completely separating them from sight or scent of each other for a number of weeks. Then it's possible that they could do some pre-bonding by living in side-by-side but separate enclosures to get accustomed to each other anew. And then go from there. But it depends on their background.
Look

From what you are saying I think it would be best to try a different girl, and hopefully do some bunny dates this time. I have set up their enclosures with excersise weights so they cannot push it open anymore in the meantime. I am going to call the shelter we got Rose at. She is so sweet, and I don't want to let her go, but three or four bunnies isn't realistic for us, and her purpose was to be a friend for Marshmallow.

From what you are saying I think it would be best to try a different girl, and hopefully do some bunny dates this time. I have set up their enclosures with excersise weights so they cannot push it open anymore in the meantime. I am going to call the shelter we got Rose at. She is so sweet, and I don't want to let her go, but three or four bunnies isn't realistic for us, and her purpose was to be a friend for Marshmallow.
Rabbit rescues are usually pretty good about helping someone with an existing rabbit find a bondmate. If one doesn't work out, they typically allow an exchange. Always a good idea to keep them informed during the trial period. (Not sure how long you've had your rabbits.)

Generic animal shelters aren't always so versed when it comes to rabbits. Hopefully they will work with you and allow an exchange. If they do, perhaps they will let you bring your boy rabbit with you so he can meet some of the other potential rabbits. Be sure all rabbits are fixed before their first meeting.

Latest posts

Back