Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahid

Reaction score
Hi everyone I really need some urgent advice. I recently got a mini lop and his paws are white. He hates being held. I read online about how to clean his paws so I applied little vinegar and cornstartch while my husband held him. He kept struggling a bit while i was cleaning and then he was struggling alot so we had to put him on the floor and now he is hiding. There is a little bit of vinegar and cornstartch on one of his paws and i am worried. What do I do? Is it harmful for his paws? or what if he licks his paws?

Just put him in a shallow dish with just a thin layer of water, and let him hop away, that should do. Don't forget to give him a treat right after that. Neither starch or vingar is harmful in little amounts.

And better don't try to whiten his feet again, and if it is necessary to wash them (stepped in urine, or was out in the rain and is full of mud,...) just use lukewarm water.
Brown paws are normal, if he is not competing in a show there is no reason to try cosmetics on him, rabbit skin is rather delicate.

Just put him in a shallow dish with just a thin layer of water, and let him hop away, that should do. Don't forget to give him a treat right after that. Neither starch or vingar is harmful in little amounts.

And better don't try to whiten his feet again, and if it is necessary to wash them (stepped in urine, or was out in the rain and is full of mud,...) just use lukewarm water.
Brown paws are normal, if he is not competing in a show there is no reason to try cosmetics on him, rabbit skin is rather delicate.
Thanks alot I am going to try this in a while when he has calmed down. I just was worried that when he grooms himself he might lick someone of the dirt off his paws so we thought we should try cleaning him

I agree. Don't worry about paws that aren't pristine. He will groom them himself and be able to keep them clean if he is provided a clean environment. And of course, rabbits shed and new fur will replace it.

Any advice for trimming his nails? We are both super worried about doing that

I really like this video for showing how to trim nails. Even difficult bunnies seem to do well with this method. I copy this as best I can -- even getting a tall table.

The trick she explains of putting pressure on the nail before cutting works fantastic. It keeps you from cutting too short.

Also, the way she shows how to do the back legs really does work. I never thought it would work with my difficult rabbit who hates being held, but it worked just as she described.

I watched the video several times to copy those actions.

I dont recommend to clean the bunny so often because then she starts to loose the habbit of cleaning it herself and rabbits tend to grrom more than cats. Like blue eyes said only when needed like pee or mud because that you dont want her consuming. Anything else like a little dirt is okay is you let her roam a lot though I would reccomend keeping your floors clean with animal safe cleaner. Also remember to never let bunnys run ariund on carpet because it tends to ruin there feet and becomes a medical problem. Fleece is a bunnys best friend!

Also remember to never let bunnys run ariund on carpet because it tends to ruin there feet and becomes a medical problem. Fleece is a bunnys best friend!

Only certain types of carpet may be a problem, and that is only if they are kept exclusively on that particular type of carpet with no other place to go. Under normal circumstances, carpet is not a problem. It is the rare rabbit that will get sorehocks from carpet (but it can happen). ;)

Here are examples of rabbits on wall-to-wall carpet (cage has no carpet).
Then a cage with both carpet and lino, with the cage itself surrounded by carpet.
And finally, buns running around on an area rug.
These are all fine options and none of the rabbits have ever had a hint of sorehocks. :)

upload_2019-8-15_11-32-22.png

upload_2019-8-15_11-34-13.png

upload_2019-8-15_11-38-13.png

I have 3 pure white buns and I have mesh over their litter pan. It really helps with keeping their feet from yellowing

only pure water. you can also use baby shampoo but just a tiny drop.
just use a dish containing water.

please never trim nails more than 1-2 mm, or will be very painful and even bleeds.

Latest posts

Back