Help! Chewing and digging...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepper89

Reaction score
So I knew Pepper was both a chewer and a digger while before it wasn’t so bad but now that i have him as a free roam bunny (mainly in my spare room) and i got blankets and a towel on the floor to try and get him not to chew on my nice new carpets he is chewing on the blankets and i caught him today actually eating it.
I tried those foam mats i got from Walmart and he chews the crap out of those. He will chew the crap out of cardboard as well... And he has been licking the blankets as well... Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use? Or what I can do to protect him and my carpet?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 6
Sounds like my bun. Is yours neutered? It could be hormones. Try to give as much cardboard and cover these high chew areas with it. Try to neuter as soon as you can!

Yes, Pepper is neutered. I have tried putting chew toys in those spots and recently put the bitter apple spray on the spots he has been chewing. I have recently put a cardboard box with paper in it so he can tear it up. I have been looking into hard rubber that he might not be able to chew on and hoping to use it for the floor...

My bunny would do this until I got him a large, sturdy toy to chew on instead—something that would distract him for long periods of time. Your bunny could just be bored!

I agree with Alyssa, though. Along with a variety of toys, try giving your bun lots of cardboard. I'd also recommend DIY wire storage cubes to close off anywhere you don't want your bunny chewing.

My rabbit also licks his blankets. So I wouldn’t worry if your worried from him licking the blankets

Thank you so much :) i have unfortunately found him eating the pieces of the blankets lately so he is back to being a caged bunny but his floor is now pine boards.

My rabbit chews hole through the fleece but I’m not worried because I always find the prices of fleece his chewed off

Most buns love to chew and dig. It’s part of their base instincts. It can’t really be stopped unless you remove what they’re going at, give them something else that would distract them, or put up a physical barrier between them and where they’re trying to dig/chew.

Latest posts

Back