Help! Bunny very gassy and not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maki_p29

Reaction score
My bunny Hawkeye has been really gassy since 11pm yesterday evening, around 12am I’ve given her baby gas drops and again at 1am, made a slurry of hay pellets/water and pumpkin purée and gave her some gas discomfort tea at room temperature. She has issues with chronic bladder sludge so she is on a daily regimen of potassium citrate and metacam to help manage her condition. She’s been reluctant to take any of her medicines / slurry . I syringe fed her each of her medicines + tea + slurry anyway. I also massaged her tummy which seemed helpful. She still sounds gassy but not like before and has been grooming a bit. It also seems like she wants to go to the bathroom and hunches her end back like she will use the bathroom but have yet to see results. I can tell she still has discomfort. I do have a laxative from the Vet from a previous time she had trouble with gas but I’m not sure if I should give it.

Any more suggestions would be helpful. I’m in between pay checks now and may not be able to bring her in until Thursday this week or I could see what I’m able to gather up but I’m literally broke. So I’m really worried about her. I hope she’s able to pull through and will see how she is in a few hours. And continue to monitor her.

Please help!

Please help!

She’s more lethargic this morning. A little pee pee but no poop in her bin. Still trying to syringe feed her but all she wants to do now is hide. I know she needs to go to the vet today but it’s hard finding money..... I don’t want my rabbit to die

I’ve come to the aid to many on this site the past few months that I’ve been a member. Please can someone see this and help... any suggestions to help her until I find money to get her to the vet, I don’t think she can wait until Thursday this week to be seen at the vet.... I’m heartbroken..

This is considered an emergency. Most vets will not charge you until later for an emergency bill. You need to call the vet right now and tell them you are coming in right now with an emergency. You have done all you can at home but she needs to go to the vet RIGHT NOW. No stalling, her gut is slowing down.

Just explain to them that you are between paychecks and say that you will pay them Thursday. Which is only 2 days that they have to wait to get paid. But most of the vets around here you can bring them in and they won't charge you that day if it's an emergency. Which a rabbit not eating is an emergency, and especially with the gas drops not helping at all.

Just explain to them that you are between paychecks and say that you will pay them Thursday. Which is only 2 days that they have to wait to get paid. But most of the vets around here you can bring them in and they won't charge you that day if it's an emergency. Which a rabbit not eating is an emergency, and especially with the gas drops not helping at all.

Thank you for responding!

Fortunately my aunt was able, kind and generous to help me out but also when I arrived at the Vet around 10:30am for the appointment they gave me 1/3rd off the original price they quoted. They gave Hawkeye fluids under her skin and a stronger pain medicine for now. Plus more medicam, critical care and the go ahead to give the laxative to her.

She’s a bit loopy and still pressing her belly to the floor. She’s been feeling cold so I put a heater and hot water bottle wrapped in paper towel next to her. Still continuing to monitor her very closely.

I’m just so worried about her.... not ready to lose my best friend with fur. This has been a reoccurring problem with her health but it hasn’t been really bad like this for a year and a half.

Next step is to get a ultrasound done to see if this is coming from her chronic bladder sludge problem as the Vet recommended.

I really hope she recovers this time!

For anyone’s concern - a update!

Hawkeye is starting to feel better after giving her the laxative that the Vet recommended. She’s moving better. Her temperature is more stable and last night she began drinking water on her own. She was also eating hay yesterday morning too. She is back to pooping and peeing more regularly. Going to see if she is up to eating food pellets and give more of her medicines to her. I hope she continues to improve.

I actually had a kind of similar issue where Peach got super constipated and the motility drugs the vet gave me did nothing. Switching her pellets, giving painkillers for 2 days, and giving her this laxative/ lubricant thing from vet seems to have fixed it

For anyone’s concern - a update!

Hawkeye is starting to feel better after giving her the laxative that the Vet recommended. She’s moving better. Her temperature is more stable and last night she began drinking water on her own. She was also eating hay yesterday morning too. She is back to pooping and peeing more regularly. Going to see if she is up to eating food pellets and give more of her medicines to her. I hope she continues to improve.
My vet recommended fresh pineapple juice if our rabbit starts to slow down his gastric motility. A pineapple is not very expensive!

Thank you for responding!

Fortunately my aunt was able, kind and generous to help me out but also when I arrived at the Vet around 10:30am for the appointment they gave me 1/3rd off the original price they quoted. They gave Hawkeye fluids under her skin and a stronger pain medicine for now. Plus more medicam, critical care and the go ahead to give the laxative to her.

She’s a bit loopy and still pressing her belly to the floor. She’s been feeling cold so I put a heater and hot water bottle wrapped in paper towel next to her. Still continuing to monitor her very closely.

I’m just so worried about her.... not ready to lose my best friend with fur. This has been a reoccurring problem with her health but it hasn’t been really bad like this for a year and a half.

Next step is to get a ultrasound done to see if this is coming from her chronic bladder sludge problem as the Vet recommended.

I really hope she recovers this time!
For sludge, have you seen/tried this product below? I bought because Sherwood (pet food) was recommended by our vet for my bun who doesn't eat much hay, and saw this for urinary support.

Attachments

• Sherwood IMG_4901.JPG
    Sherwood IMG_4901.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 7
For sludge, have you seen/tried this product below? I bought because Sherwood (pet food) was recommended by our vet for my bun who doesn't eat much hay, and saw this for urinary support.
Yes, I have this product and Hawkeye goes wild over it like she can’t get enough of it. I noticed that she urinates more when taking this supplement. I like Sherwood Pet products.

Latest posts

Back