Help!! Bunny needs identification!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I got my rabbit at a two-three months of age and I got her from a friend so I have no idea what breed she is! I can’t contact the owner anymore either please please help!!!

Attachments

• 92E17D56-9A2C-40E3-89FB-A8ACC3088F04.jpeg
    92E17D56-9A2C-40E3-89FB-A8ACC3088F04.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 45
  • D2F50AF8-C6FE-4983-8846-154E10F5FB59.jpeg
    D2F50AF8-C6FE-4983-8846-154E10F5FB59.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 48
  • FB147BAB-6F91-40B8-ABBB-12B8685A78C5.jpeg
    FB147BAB-6F91-40B8-ABBB-12B8685A78C5.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 48
I would say she seem to have lop and netherland dwarf, reminds me a lot of my first bunny. Looked like yours but was black instead and he was a mixed with netherland dwarf/holland lop.

I'm no expert, but lop bunnies have ears that hang down most of the time, so I don't think your rabbit is a lop. When they are up, they aren't as stiff and straight as domestic rabbits. By the markings on your bunny, I would say that it's def part Dutch. When my Mom first saw my Annika, she said "She looks like she's wearing a little white sweater and gray pants! Here's a pic of her for reference:

I'll also add a pic of my late lop-eared bunny, Hector. He was a sweetheart. IMG_20171019_113757.jpg
20140524_122127.jpg

I'm no expert, but lop bunnies have ears that hang down most of the time, so I don't think your rabbit is a lop. When they are up, they aren't as stiff and straight as domestic rabbits. By the markings on your bunny, I would say that it's def part Dutch. When my Mom first saw my Annika, she said "She looks like she's wearing a little white sweater and gray pants! Here's a pic of her for reference:

I'll also add a pic of my late lop-eared bunny, Hector. He was a sweetheart. View attachment 44879
View attachment 44880

Mixed bunnies are hard to say what breed they are and not all with white markings are dutch. Your bunny seem to be dutch.

For example my mixed holland lop bunny, he have other breeds in him. He have helicopter ears, so they can stand up or one up and the other down. In my country most mixes are with lop and holland lop bunnies because they are the most common owned bunnies among people. So there a big chance for lop bunnies being in the genetics of mixed breeds. But this is a view from my country.

I would say the bunny might be vienna marked instead like my holland lop mix or another marking than dutch mark.

IMG_5464.jpg
IMG_5210.jpg

I would just say that mixes you can never know their breeds, if they don’t have velvet, lop ears or rex fur. The rest will only be speculation and guesses

Last edited:
We had a Lop/Californian mix--she was a big and very long bunny with the CA coloring and helicopter ears that stuck strait to the side, never fully lopped. All we cared about was happy and healthy. Ours were all rescues, so we got a lot erroneous info--an English Spot full grown mix turned out to be a purebred Checked Giant that tripled in size to 20 pounds--very big, very sweet.

Mixed bunnies are hard to say what breed they are and not all with white markings are dutch. Your bunny seem to be dutch.

For example my mixed holland lop bunny, he have other breeds in him. He have helicopter ears, so they can stand up or one up and the other down. In my country most mixes are with lop and holland lop bunnies because they are the most common owned bunnies among people. So there a big chance for lop bunnies being in the genetics of mixed breeds. But this is a view from my country.

I would say the bunny might be vienna marked instead like my holland lop mix or another marking than dutch mark.

View attachment 44883
View attachment 44884

I would just say that mixes you can never know their breeds, if they don’t have velvet, lop ears or rex fur. The rest will only be speculation and guesses

Hermelin,
You're so right about bunnies having many different breeds mixed, but some do have definite markings or coat types or ears that can give you a clue. Just like people, I guess! :)

I just wanted to say something I saw in one of your pictures. The shavings are toxic to rabbits unless they are aspen. Bedding is not needed in the cages it just confuses them on where to go potty. Most of us on here use horse stall pellets in the litterboxes. And I'm not sure if you are keeping him in that cage all the time but it would be used better as a litterbox and just put an expen up as the cage. Store-bought cages are just not big enough and he will likely outgrow it before he is 6 months old.

Hi
How to identify male & female rabbit babies who are hopping and running around and very playful. Ofcourse one is more active and can climb one stair. They both look the same.Jack & Jill.jpg

Hi
How to identify male & female rabbit babies who are hopping and running around and very playful. Ofcourse one is more active and can climb one stair. They both look the same.View attachment 45785
Hi, what age are your rabbits?

Boys would have their testicles dropped normally by 3-6 months of age so if they have testicles they are boys.
Before testicles dropped you can try sexing them as described in this thread with clear pictures https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/sexing-rabbit-pictures.44936/

Sometimes it is not easy especially when you have no previous experience but it's not impossible. Some people manage to take clear photo and post on this forum and we all trying to help. You can't identify rabbit's sex from the way they are hopping, unfortunately.

It is important to sex your rabbits as soon as possible, usually male and female rabbits are separated at 10-12 weeks latest, female can get pregnant at 14 weeks of age easily.

Hi! I just got this rabbit from a tractor supply store and they had no idea what kind she is. I was thinking maybe a rex mix not for sure though. Didn’t know if anyone else would know what kind she is!

Attachments

• 7387BEED-3C05-4FD3-BF11-561307C4A856.jpeg
    7387BEED-3C05-4FD3-BF11-561307C4A856.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 3
  • DAB9E42C-5DAF-4205-B8FE-C9AF80480DDD.png
    DAB9E42C-5DAF-4205-B8FE-C9AF80480DDD.png
    770.9 KB · Views: 3
I would say Netherlands, Californian mix. To be honest I do not see the lop in yours that other people are saying.. mine is miniature lop mix. Hopefully you will not need to, but the veterinarian office will put the type on the bill, or can tell you usually. But have to pay visit fee just to find out -.-* on here you will get so many answers it wont help.. guarantee you this. Lol

She is a Havana mix, not rex. She is very cute! That is way too many pellets! A rabbits diet should consist 80% of timothy, orchard, or meadow hay and only 1/4 cup of timothy pellets per day. See picture (photo credit: Rabbits Indoors).
You need to rabbit-proof. She is going to destroy your carpet and wood furniture, along with all your electric cords which can be dangerous.

Attachments

• simple-illus-of-diet-png_orig.png
    simple-illus-of-diet-png_orig.png
    914.4 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back