Help! Bunny ate pepper plant!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alyshia

Reaction score
Hi all so this morning I awoke to find that my rabbit had escaped and ate some leaves of off my chili pepper plant and took one bite out of a pepper. It's hard to tell how many leaves she ate. She is fairly big, about 8lbs. I know any plant in the nightshade family can be very toxic so I don't know what to do! Should I be taking her to the vet? What symptoms should I be looking for? What do I do if she starts acting sick?

I would continue to monitor eating and drinking to make sure it stays normal. But if you have any concerns it's best to consult with your experienced rabbit vet. It may be she'll be just fine, but it depends on the toxicity of the plant, how much was consumed, and your rabbits general health.

Odyssey got into a chili pepper plant a couple weeks ago and she was fine- like JBun said, just make sure to monitor eating and drinking and if anything seems off, contact your vet. :)

Update- I called animal poison control and paid $75 to hear the same advice that you all gave me lol but the peace of mind is worth it! I gave her some fresh hay and water and she has been eating and drinking :) I'll update at the end of the day once we're in the clear

Latest posts

Back