help! broken nail, nerve exposed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttercup n Charlie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My darling Buttercup accidentally broke her nail in half and now a good amount of her nerve is exposed. She bled when the accident happened but has not bled since. She won't let us pick her up and is really guarded about her injury. She has been behaving ok though. Is there anything we can do to:
1) make sure she doesn't get infected?
2) help her heal?
3) make her feel better and ensure she is not in pain?

Concerned mommy :(

This happened to me once with a bunny I was fostering.
I would say that if there is any hanging tissue or if it looks really ragged then see a vet. If it looks like a clean break even with the exposed tissue then use some neosporin without the pain reliever of course. It may or may not grow back but this is not a problem. Good luck.

thank you for your posts and concerns everyone! Buttercup is doing much much better :) she rested well for a week following the incident and we made sure she doesn't do anything crazy! Her nail has healed and she is back to her spunky self :D

sorry for the delay in replying back. It's been a hectic week to say the least! Our younger bunny Daisy got spayed over the weekend. You know how that is! Extra love, care and attention all around! I will be posting pics of Daisy Doolittle soon. Till then stay tuned and much love to all your buns! :D

Latest posts

Back