HELP- both buns have lost litter box training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaBunnyLover

Reaction score
I know there are countless threads discussing litter box training, but some specific help will be most appreciated. We have a 7 year old male neutered Holland Lop and a 3 year old Lion Head female, spayed. I believe it is the female that is peeing outside of the box. They are both pooping everywhere in their cage, plus some in the box. They like blankets or soft bath rugs in their cage, but are now filled with urine. They have a litter box with paper pellets. They were vet checked not that long ago and had no medical issues identified. What do we do? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Have they been spayed? Also is your litter box low sided? Have any other rabbits been in that area? Often rabbits lose their habits whilst marking territory.

Remove all blankets and rugs. The floor should be solid and the only "soft" place should be the litter box.

The litter box should also be topped with a generous amount of hay (on top of your litter). The box itself should be quite roomy and inviting.

If they are slipping on the tile floor of your cage, then you could get a solid rubber mat or similar (something that has grip but is not soft like a blanket or rug).

Remove all blankets and rugs. The floor should be solid and the only "soft" place should be the litter box.

The litter box should also be topped with a generous amount of hay (on top of your litter). The box itself should be quite roomy and inviting.

If they are slipping on the tile floor of your cage, then you could get a solid rubber mat or similar (something that has grip but is not soft like a blanket or rug).
I will try! Thank you.

Have they been spayed? Also is your litter box low sided? Have any other rabbits been in that area? Often rabbits lose their habits whilst marking territory.
No other rabbits, just them. They are both fixed a long time ago.

My rabbit was litter box trained, but all of a sudden she started pooping and peeing everywhere. After a visit to the vet, it turns out she had some bacteria in her stomach that affected her going to the bathroom. She got an injection to kill the bacteria and after that she was going in the litter box again.

Latest posts

Back