Help bonding please !

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kcthehippie

Reaction score
Hi I’m Kc I recently bought my first pair of unbonded buns I have a small short hair bun and a medium lion head, they are different sizes and I am looking for help in the bonding process I have a start cage and a medium sized dog pen. I leave the cage door open and the pen is blocking off my dining room so they have plenty of space. The larger one jumps the small ones head and they seem rather scared of each other. I bought them from the same place and they have not been fixed yet.

Hi. Do you know the genders and ages of your rabbits?
Do you keep them separately or in the same enclosure?
If I understood correctly the larger one humps lionheads head?
Can you post some pics or video here?

Hi. Do you know the genders and ages of your rabbits?
Do you keep them separately or in the same enclosure?
If I understood correctly the larger one humps lionheads head?
Can you post some pics or video here?
The pet store said they sexed them but I also did some research and checked myself, I keep the smaller one in the cage since he is little and the larger one in the play pen, the larger one is the lion head and he humps the small ones head

Thank you for posting video I guess they are about 10-12 weeks old now.
I would suggest keeping them strictly separately and

firstly, sex them properly, see link for clear pics how to do it here and if you are not sure you can take clear pics post here and we will help you,

>>Sexing rabbit pictures!

Because they are still young, usually in petshops they sell 8-10 week old bunnies or say they are that age.
Lionhead looks a bit older (not because bigger but because humping other's head), I guess about 12 weeks. Babies start humping each other around that age, I can guess lionhead is a boy, boys become hormonal earlier than girls. The other can be either boy or girl, just younger, maybe 8 weeks and will start showing hormones in a few weeks time.

No matter boys or girls, you have to keep them separately all the time, no playtime together until they are both neutered (plus 2 months after that).

They can be bonded ONLY after they are both neutered so don't try now, because they can fight really badly damage each other, especially when one humps other's head he can bite his genitalia and it will be very bad, you will need emergency vet and all that, also they will remember the fight and even when they are neutered they can remember that and it will be very difficult or impossible to bond them together.

Please take it seriously, rabbits can fight and there will be blood, I have a rabbit with a large hole in his ear because he and his brother were bought together as babies but they became hormonal at 3,5 months and had a major fight after that mine has this horrible scar around his eye and hole in his ear, his brother has scars on his forehead and multiple scars on their backs as well. They are very friendly and cuddly now and were before became hormonal, and kids saw their fight and were horrified so parents had to get rid of one of the brothers.

There are many similar stories, I am not trying to scare you but just take it seriously and keep them separately, ideally so they cannot see or smell each other, otherwise they will be under stress.

If they are both boys they can be neutered at about 4 months. I am almost certain that lionhead is a boy, but you better check.

Thank you for posting video I guess they are about 10-12 weeks old now.
I would suggest keeping them strictly separately and

firstly, sex them properly, see link for clear pics how to do it here and if you are not sure you can take clear pics post here and we will help you,

>>Sexing rabbit pictures!

Because they are still young, usually in petshops they sell 8-10 week old bunnies or say they are that age.
Lionhead looks a bit older (not because bigger but because humping other's head), I guess about 12 weeks. Babies start humping each other around that age, I can guess lionhead is a boy, boys become hormonal earlier than girls. The other can be either boy or girl, just younger, maybe 8 weeks and will start showing hormones in a few weeks time.

No matter boys or girls, you have to keep them separately all the time, no playtime together until they are both neutered (plus 2 months after that).

They can be bonded ONLY after they are both neutered so don't try now, because they can fight really badly damage each other, especially when one humps other's head he can bite his genitalia and it will be very bad, you will need emergency vet and all that, also they will remember the fight and even when they are neutered they can remember that and it will be very difficult or impossible to bond them together.

Please take it seriously, rabbits can fight and there will be blood, I have a rabbit with a large hole in his ear because he and his brother were bought together as babies but they became hormonal at 3,5 months and had a major fight after that mine has this horrible scar around his eye and hole in his ear, his brother has scars on his forehead and multiple scars on their backs as well. They are very friendly and cuddly now and were before became hormonal, and kids saw their fight and were horrified so parents had to get rid of one of the brothers.

There are many similar stories, I am not trying to scare you but just take it seriously and keep them separately, ideally so they cannot see or smell each other, otherwise they will be under stress.

If they are both boys they can be neutered at about 4 months. I am almost certain that lionhead is a boy, but you better check.
Thank you so much life saver

Once my slightly bigger fixed female got out of her enclosure before she bonded with my fixed male. It was a horror show. Fur tufts everywhere & she opened up a huge gash on his neck and he was limping for weeks. They’re inseparable now but it was ghastly how she handled him & they were both fixed!

Hi I’m Kc I recently bought my first pair of unbonded buns I have a small short hair bun and a medium lion head, they are different sizes and I am looking for help in the bonding process I have a start cage and a medium sized dog pen. I leave the cage door open and the pen is blocking off my dining room so they have plenty of space. The larger one jumps the small ones head and they seem rather scared of each other. I bought them from the same place and they have not been fixed yet.
Hi, any updates there? Hope your buns are doing well

Latest posts

Back