HELP! Bonded girl fight!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beans142

Reaction score
Some of you may have read my story about losing my bunny Morty on June 10th from bloat/stasis. He was one of a bonded neutered male pair. P-Nut has been acting fine and eating, but I had the desire to adopt a buddy for him.

I also have two bonded spayed females, about 9 months old.

A homeless rabbit was brought here for a meet and greet with P-Nut. Things went fairly well, meaning they didn't fight, they pretty much ignored each other.

I decided to keep new bunny for a period of time in a separate cage and make more attempts at bonding, with the option of returning him if it didn't work out.

I was preparing the new cage for new bunny (Max), and the two girls were out of their cage and roaming around. Now, the girls were NOT introduced to Max, that was NOT the intention. Down the road, maybe, but that wasn't the deal yesterday. Also, and probably important, the woman who brought Max here picked up one of the girls and was cuddling her for awhile.

When she put down the one girl bunny, the other bunny attacked her viciously! We were caught off guard, to say the least. We broke up the fight but first bunny, Mia, was injured with puncture wounds to her face and a split lip. Attacking bunny, Minnie, was acting agitated and since yesterday, has seemed like a real terror, not her previous disposition at all. She is caged next to new bunny Max. They can sniff each other through the cage and there doesn't seem to be a problem there.

Mia, injured bunny, needed surgery and stitches. She seems pretty good today, never stopped eating, etc. I had to prepare yet another cage for Mia to separate her.

When Mia was out today and wandered near Minnie's cage, Minnie acted like she wanted to kill her. Now, I realize Mia has wounds on her face and is on two different meds so she smells like a vet's office, but I am really worried now.

The vet said there should be no problem re-bonding them down the road. I have some doubts.

We never had a chance to further try bonding Max and P=Nut so now everyone has their own cage.

Can anyone give me any advice what to do now? I'm actually scared to try rebonding for fear someone will be hurt again. I never saw a bunny fight like that, and was surprised that it was a previously docile female, Minnie.

Two thoughts. Does anyone think the presence of the new male caused this? They were NOT introduced to him.

Or, as the vet thinks, could this have been caused by the extended cuddle by the visiting woman of Mia, such that Minnie didn't realize it was her?

Help!! Thanks.:(

:) Personally I would wait until Mia is off her meds - as you say she smells like a vets office - this is definitely going to upset everybun. I think "smell" is the key here - a bonded pair no longer smell right to each other, and another bunny has appeared. Add to that a bunny cuddled by someone who smells of another bunny, and Im not surprised things have gone a bit wrong.

Dont panic! it may be better to wait and then go back to square one - start the bonding again. You may want to treat it as if neither bunny has ever met. Do you have a space which neither bun has been in? a neutral territory which smells of no bun? Also if the new bun isn't neutered you may want to wait until after this is done.

good luck! you and your buns have been thru a tough time following the loss of Morty - re-bonding takes time! go for it!:)

Latest posts

Back