HELP! Bloat/Stasis, bunny not doing well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylova4eva

Reaction score
Please note before reading this: I know this is an emergency situation for my bunny. However, the nearest ER that sees bunnies is an hour away, so I'm looking for suggestions to see if I can get Ripley through this without the stress of an hour long car ride.

Last night Ripley was running around like his normal happy self. I lifted him into his cage for the night, and gave him his 1/2 of a baby carrot and 1 oxbow digestive support, and put his dinner in his bowl (2 tsp. oxbow pellets). He ate part of his food, gobbled down the digestive support and 1/2 carrot, then turned his head away from me. He had barely finished swallowing the carrot, and I began to hear he stomach making all of these loud noises. All of the sudden, he just flopped out flat on his side and was panting a little bit. After this, he got really restless and kept getting up and stretching and then would flop out flat again and sit in a bun loaf position in his litter box, with eyes squinted.

Right away I gave him 1ml Metoclopramide (1mg/ml) po. I sat near his cage for a bit and finally headed to bed (it was 1 a.m. at this time). After that I got up every 2 hours to check on him. Over night, he did poop in his litter, and poops looked normal, though there wasn't quite as much as normal. This morning, Ripley is still acting exactly the same, and seems colds (ear feels very cold). I gave him Metoclopramide one more time this morning (it had been 8.5 hours).

In the past Ripley has had GI issues just like this (at least 3-4 times), which is why I have Metoclopramide on hand. Normally though, Ripley will take the Regan and right now, he just fights it. I know I need to get food into him since he hasn't had any in 8 hours, but I guess I shouldn't in case there was a blockage; I'm concerned about rupturing the stomach. In the past, Metoclopramide (and sometimes fluids at the vet in addition), has done the trick in a few hours. This times it's been like 9 hours and he still looks bad.

I do have simethicone on hand, but didn't give any (expired a year ago), but I can go get some if need be.

Any suggestions? Tips? It's greatly appreciated; I'm so concerned about my lil' man, and am just not sure what to do.

You need to keep him warm and get him to a vet immediately! Bloat is extremely serious and not something you can mess around with. It could be due to a blockage, or from the pathogenic and deadly clostridium bacteria, but whatever the cause, bloat is not something that can be treated from home.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f22/bloat-gas-10385/

I agree that an hour car ride isnt going to hurt him, go now!

Hi BunnyLova4eva!
I understand why you don't want to put your rabbit thought a hour long drive because it can be stressful , but not as stressful as bloating! Call the vet first and see what you can do. Then take him as soon as you can!
Hope he gets well soon!
DIYbunny :anotherbun
P.s when my rabbit first got sick I blamed it on myself and felt horrible. Don't blame it on you , it wasn't your fault and it wasn't anyone eles , sometimes these things happen and you just have to get thought them. But either way you thought about the best thing for him ,and sometimes that's all you can do.

Just wanted to get an update out there on Ripley for those of you who replied. Thank you all for your advice. Ripley doesn't do well on long car rides, but I was considering taking him anyway.
I ended up being able to talk to Ripley's regular vet (my boss) and took Ripley for sub-q's, Buprenex, and he had Metacam several hours before going. Also, while Ripley was there, we force fed him some critical care. Since he got home, he's looking better, though still not his normal self. We're going watch and see if this does the trick; if not we'll go from there.

I'm so glad he's doing ok and you were able to get everything sorted. Hopefully he'll be feeling all better soon.

you may wish to take carrot out of his diet.... put in some safer greens instead. Carrot tends not to be best treat for rabbits (the sugars not being particularly good for them).

An update on the lil' dude:
By Monday morning Ripley was doing much better; he was eating, pooping and much more himself. He saw the doctor for a recheck-the vet could hear gas noise. We ended up going ahead with blood work due to the concern of Ripley having gut motility problems so often. It came back showing him a little bit anemic and liver values were elevated.
Tuesday when Ripley was in and the vet said there wasn't a lot of stool in Ripley's GI tract. He gave a vitamin b complex injection as his appetite just still wasn't normal yet.
As of yesterday, still few fecal pellets could be palpated. The vet wanted to do some radiographs; I'll find out today what was seen. We also gave some fluids and Reglan to keep things moving. That's where it's at now. Ripley's appetite has gotten better, and this morning he raced to the food dish again for the first time since all this. The main thing we're dealing with now is finding the cause of it all. I'm mostly just concerned as this has happened so many times, and with each bout, gets worse.

:pray:

I'm glad he's feeling better for now. I hope you find out the root cause soon.

Hope you get to the bottom of this so your little guy can get back to normal

Latest posts

Back