HELP! Bald Patches and blood??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beethoven

Reaction score
I own a 9 year old male "dwarf rabbit" .... though he seems pretty large for a dwarf... plus he's a little overweight.

Anyways, we were grooming him just now, he's shedding, and we noticed a bald patch. As we kept grooming there were more and more baldpatches and eventually we saw there's like a bald line down his back.
It was dark in the room so we took a better look at it under the light and the skin is red, irritated, and bleeding. He's not losing a lot of blood or anything, but he IS bleeding, I'm sure I have every right to be concerned..

When we looked at the fur we had brushed off, some of the shedding clumps had dried skin holding a little together.

icon_sad.gif
My poor boy... it must sting. I'll call the vet when they open tomorrow morning. But do you know what it might be?

Is he an only bun? It almost sounds like over grooming. Otherwise fur mites is a definite possibility. Maybe a skin fungus but not as likely if it's going down his back like that.

You can put a little neosporin/triple antibiotic cream (NOT the stuff with the painkillers, etc. added) on the bleeding and sore areas to help prevent infection.

Poor little guy.:(

Could it be allergies? I have a dog who has allergies(to what I'm not sure). His skin gets like this bloody and he has dried blood on his fur. Take him to a rabbit savvy vet as soon as possible it could be mites, over grooming, fleas, or any number of things . How often do you groom him? Hopfully Randy will be able to help.

-Hannah

I would go with over-grooming. I did this to my bun, Toby, a few months back. He was shedding terribly and I used my Shed-Ender brush on him for awhile. Before I knew it, he had a bald patch and the skin was pink and bleeding in a few areas. It wasn't a lot of blood, but like a road-rash kind of bleeding. I hope that makes sense?

Latest posts

Back