HELP BABY BUNNY INJURED NEW BUN MOM

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacquie2020

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Jacquie, and I am a new mom to my 3 month old girl bun Marley. I adopted her on June 4th, and today went to attempt to clip new nails for the first time when before clipping noticed this…. It is a scaly kind of scab like texture kind of bubbly feeling , looks inflamed, and really worries me. She lives in my room in a large x-pen and roams when I am home. Please help me I’m beyond worried and I’m not used to her being injured yet. Any advice for treatment or what to do? Maybe what this could be anything would help thanks in advance -Marley and Jacquie

Attachments

• A53BE8A6-B32C-42C9-9BDF-9DD2D41FA52D.jpeg
    A53BE8A6-B32C-42C9-9BDF-9DD2D41FA52D.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 8
Try to determine if it's just scaling of the skin from possible mites or a fungal infection, or if it's a wound. If it's a wound, if it looks infected and/or there's an abnormal lump under the skin(possible abscess), you'll need to get her seen by a vet and get your bun put on antibiotics, minimally. Or if it's mites or a fungal infection, then the appropriate treatment for those. If it's a minor wound with no infection, I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it heals. If it's on the bottom of the paw, it could have occurred due to abrasive flooring, and for that you'll want to evaluate the flooring situation for your rabbit.

Medirabbit: sarcoptes mange mites

Medirabbit: fungal dermatitis

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thank you so much for your reply, is this something I should worry about? Or should she be ok? Should I take her to the vet to be safe or should I keep an eye on her to see how it goes it is missing some fur there bc it’s scabbed up and swollen

If it's swollen, there's a good likelihood it's infected, unless it's swollen because a thread or something got wrapped around it. If there's a chance it's due to infection, this means she needs to be seen by a knowledgeable rabbit vet right away. For infections, rabbits usually need to be on a rabbit safe antibiotic like baytril, for a minimum of 4-6 weeks, and the anti inflammatory meloxicam may also be needed.

(Warning: link contains graphic medical related photos)
Medirabbit: skin abscesses

I did manage to get another picture of it is it any clearer to see, does it appear more like an abscess?

Attachments

• 2477F5C8-25DE-4985-90A7-72B0F966D433.png
    2477F5C8-25DE-4985-90A7-72B0F966D433.png
    494.4 KB · Views: 7
I really can't say anything for sure from a photo. But if it's still swollen in the morning, I would get it checked by a vet. Or if you aren't sure, keep an eye on it for a few days and if it gets worse or the swelling doesn't go down, get your rabbit checked.

Latest posts

Back