HELP BABY BUNNY FOUND OUT OF NEST

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shontelle

Reaction score
I have just found a baby bunny out of the nest, I picked it up and put it back in but it is just moving and breathing. There are 4 others in the nest which are active and swirling around. I’m not sure what to do. When would I decide to feed it by hand? If I have to what do I feed it and how often? How do I save it. This morning I found the mum rabbit out of her hutch with the male rabbit so I’m not sure if she is pregnant again or anything else. That babies where born on valentines so are special and I want them all to be fine. Please help all advise is wanted. The rabbit in the outs is the one I found near the carrot

Attachments

• 8CFE34F4-0645-4D95-BF55-9F6AE6D10627.jpeg
    8CFE34F4-0645-4D95-BF55-9F6AE6D10627.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 3F860475-6C3C-43D2-A1CB-9E48B6ECB22C.jpeg
    3F860475-6C3C-43D2-A1CB-9E48B6ECB22C.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 15
Hi, you did all good you don't need to hand-feed it if mother feeds them she will feed them all. You can try to make nest less escapable by placing a nest box with high sides there or I don't know just make kind of border of a cardboard to restrict their area.
If you think he skipped one feeding and looks wrinkled and weak you can hold mother on your lap and bring him to her belly so he could find her nipples. Usually they nurse once or twice a day for like 3-5 minutes, that would be enough, after that you can put him back and she should nurse them all as usual.
Male rabbit should be separated immediately, if they had contact she will have another litter in about 30 days.

How to hand feed your baby, be careful with mother hold her tight so she won't damage him

Last edited:
Unfortunately that baby died shortly after. He looked like he missed a couple feeding as he so skinny with not belly, it looked like his skin was hanging off. after monitoring I found another very skinny and weak one. I decided to hand feed. unfortunately the other weak one died, I did not get to him quick enough. however I now have 3 pretty strong squirmy babies who are sucking on the bottle teat quite well. I'm just unsure how to tell if they have eaten enough. I really want to save them.

Sorry to hear that. You will know if they fed if their bellies are nice and round. She will feed them just make sure they can't escape the nest again as they won't get dinner. I would take a cardboard box and would remove the bottom and would place it around them so sides would be about 15-20 cm over straw level.

Latest posts

Back