help!!!!! baby bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Theo this is what happens when i try to take pics of them lol. here one second, gone the next. they move so fast!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5080.jpg
    IMG_5080.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 18
here are some pictures that i managed to capture lol

Attachments

• IMG_4370.jpg
    IMG_4370.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4437.jpg
    IMG_4437.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4996.jpg
    IMG_4996.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5075.jpg
    IMG_5075.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5079.jpg
    IMG_5079.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5168.jpg
    IMG_5168.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5184.jpg
    IMG_5184.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5187.JPG
    IMG_5187.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 22
trying to upload a short video. an error message pops up saying "the following error occurred: the uploaded file does not have an allowed extension." anyone have any idea why this is happening and how i can fix it?

Very cute!

For videos you have to upload to a video hosting site like youtube, then post the link for it here.

the babies have started to poop all over the cage. (Now that I've finally litter trained the Mama :) Is this normal? Also it seems that they are drinking quite often. I see them a lot at the water bottle. Is this ok?

Baby bunnies eat some of mom's poops to get the bacteria they need in their guts. This allows them to eat the same foods mom eats because they have the same bacteria in them as she does. In other words don't keep the nest/cage ultra clean, they need to eat some of her droppings to adjust easily to a nonmilk diet.

I've never had problems with even very young baby bunnies eating greens if they were allowed to eat mom's droppings, they were able to eat anything she was eating. That's been my experience.

Lots of rabbit folks say NO greens ever until at least 6 months old, etc, but in nature, the babies are going to be eating mom's diet from the get go, so...

Don't introduce some brand new food or anything, but if mom's eating it, it should be ok for the babies in about the same ratio as she's eating it.

thank you for sharing your experience @Cloverhouse. I appreciate that you included an explanation in your answer. very helpful.

What are the chances of my doe being pregnant? If you have not read this thread from the beginning, here is some background. She was separated from the buck only once she had her litter. Its been about 25 days since I rescued her and her kits. She is not pulling any fur. Should I put in a nestbox just in case? If so, should I purchase one or is a litter box ok? Thanks in advance!

Hard to tell, having seen how horny and quick bucks can get at that occasion I would guess about 80%, but that's pretty much a random number, it depends on the characters of your rabbits too.

Anyway, better safe than sorry, prepare everything as if she's pregnant. Any box will do, a cardboard box too. I'm not sure if I would use a used litterbox, it's not that easy to remove the toilet smell completly.

Watch her closely, start to feed the older litter some kitchen oatmeal, that will help when you need to wean and remove them when the doe starts giving birth (I would take nestbuilding and fur plucking as a sure sign then).

Thank you for ur response @Preitler . Today she has started pulling fur. Should i remove the older babies at this point? In about how long should i expect the next litter?
For the nestbox, what should i do? Should I put all her fur into it along with hay? It will have to be in a different spot than the the spot she has picked since there isnt enough room in that area. Is this ok?
For the kitchen oatmeal, is it supposed to be cooked or raw? About how much do i give them?

i checked on them and discovered a newborn baby bunny. Is it wise to check on the nest (check how many babies etc) and put the whole nest in a box?

ok heres the story. 4 babies born in total. one was stillborn. another one is really cold- im trying to warm it up. the othere 2 look ok.

Yes, it's time to seperate, the old ones would raid the milk buffet, and can destroy the nest. Good luck with warming the little one up, a warm towel is one way, I just hold them to my belly under some layers of winter clothes. Even if a cold one looks dead, I still warm it up, you can't tell for sure until it's warm and dead.

Check the nest, remove soiled material, and make sure that the kits are well insulated and covered with lots of fur, and that there'S enough hay around.

i removed the babies as soon as i saw that the mom gave birth.
One little one looks like he has blood on him. Im not sure what it is! S/he is sticking to things cuz of the blood or whatever it is. Is this dangerous? There is fur that got stuck and also the blanket i put in the nest box! How do i remove it from s/he?
The mom has messed up the next box! she dumped all the contents onto the bottom of the cage! Why is she doing this?? Im going to put everything back in. Please help!

A little trace amount of blood is okay, but from what you describe, I suspect the baby might have an injury. Please carefully inspect the newborn for cuts and scrapes. Mother rabbits sometimes accidentally injure babies, especially when two litters are present. You can gently dab at the blood with a warm, damp soft cloth, but don't get the baby cold. Warming up the cold baby is priority number one.
Mom is dumping the nest because she is hormonal or something has upset her. Just put it back. I would keep the babies away from her for an hour or two until she settles down and then put them back in the nest box.

i removed the babies as soon as i saw that the mom gave birth.
One little one looks like he has blood on him. Im not sure what it is! S/he is sticking to things cuz of the blood or whatever it is. Is this dangerous? There is fur that got stuck and also the blanket i put in the nest box! How do i remove it from s/he?
The mom has messed up the next box! she dumped all the contents onto the bottom of the cage! Why is she doing this?? Im going to put everything back in. Please help!
I think you don't panic, you make changes all the time and your mother rabbit gets stressed. It is very hard to advise as it is not clear without photos. I understand she lives in a 100 cm cage with her 2 babies from her previous litter 1 month ago and you removed older babies to stay somewhere else?

Please give us clear image of your situation as it is very difficult to suggest anything.

As I said in my previous comment it would be best to leave new nest in cage where it was and let her out to be somewhere in a playpen or somewhere with her older babies or in some other place she can spend her day, and let her into her cage to nurse her new babies in the evening, maybe she can stay in for night.

Make her environment less stressful, give her covers lots of hay and water, no loud people or dogs around etc, plenty of food and if you feel she needs more milk give her rolled oats. Give her some fresh herbs, mint, fennel, basil, coriander, some dried chamomile don't stress her out

Last edited:
here is a photo of the setup for now. the gray box is the nest box while the blue box is the litter pan.
yes, she has been living with her older babies until now. I have put them in a different enclosure for now.
The nest is in the cage but she keeps messing with it and uncovering the little ones.
I will purchase another playpen for her. What do you recommend for a decent price?

Attachments

• IMG_5926.jpg
    IMG_5926.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 16
I got my playpen at a yard sale for $5, but I doubt you will find one that cheap. Craiglist or Facebook Market place are always my go-to for used pet supplies. Just make sure that you clean anything you get with vinegar before you give it to the rabbits. I know you are kinda stressed out right now, but please don't forget to send pictures! You know how obsessed I am with little baby bunnies!

Latest posts

Back