help!!!!! baby bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow thats quick! ill keep an eye and watch her behavior. thanks for the heads up! ill keep you updated!

Yes, most likely she will continue feeding and caring for them from now on. I think you are in good shape now. They are a few days older and stronger now. In a few more days their eyes will open and they will be chasing her down. LOL

I'm guessing something, stress, being moved, etc...caused a pause in nursing. It happens sometimes. I would only check on them once a day to make sure they are fed at this point.

Sorry to hear she is biting. It's par for the course with rabbits. my rabbits are really nice and will generally tolerate a lot (grooming then, giving medicine, etc) before they bite. But nursing mothers you can count on to be cranky. Their hormones are all mixed up and they are probably fearful something will hurt their babies. At this point, I would chalk it up to the fact that she just doesn't know you very well. If she was not socialized and handled a lot in her previous home, that is a part of it, too. Bunnies dislike change and she has gone through a lot now.

However, there is always the chance that she could be pregnant, so if in a few weeks she starts to get more aggressive, especially towards the kits, you should remove them and just let them nurse twice a day. If she does have a second litter, then you will have to let the older ones wean. I say this because occasionally pregnant mothers, especially when they are very near giving birth, hurt other rabbits, even their own babies.
Right now I think she just doesn't know what to make of what is happening. She hasn't had enough time to really trust you yet. Be cautious when putting your hand in the cage. some of my bunnies are very territorial about their cage and get very annoyed when I put my hand in to clean, even though they are fine with me handling them outside the cage.

its great to hear that! they are growing some fur and are super cute.
that definitely makes sense. She wasnt in the best environment to begin with and with the big move... totally understandable.

i guess im just really surprised. i know that rabbits can bite, but it has never happened to me before. my other rabbits, were and are very tame and gentle.

However, there is always the chance that she could be pregnant, so if in a few weeks she starts to get more aggressive, especially towards the kits, you should remove them and just let them nurse twice a day.
how would i ensure that she is nursing them? she doesnt nurse when i am around...

I agree with zupper, but don't separate the first babies unless your 100% sure that the mom is going to have another litter. They should be kept with their mom until at least 6 weeks, but it is preferable that they stay with her until 8 weeks. Separating them at 4 weeks could cause intestinal issues resulting in some deaths. You're in a sticky situation if the mom is pregnant, because the first litter might die from separation if they won't eat food, but if you don't separate them, then the next litter might die from not getting enough milk. Good luck!

I'm not sure how you can ensure that she is nursing them, but I do know that the mother only nurses them once or twice a day and in private. She doesn't lay down like a cat does, so it can be hard to tell. In the wild, the mom will spend most of her time away from the babies so she doesn't lead predators to them. You might just need to set up a camera to see if she's going in there and nursing.

Oh! They are so cute!
emoji_u1f60d.png
emoji_u1f60d.png
emoji_u1f60d.png
Btw- I don't know why the heart eyes are showing up on different lines?

the babies have opened their eyes! the completely white one has red eyes ( is it a REW?) while the other kits eyes are dark. how old do you think they are? about 12 days?

I'm new to the forum so I am just joining this discussion. :) They look really cute! I'm glad they are doing well! I'm sorry you lost two. :( That's sad.

I hope they continue to grow and thrive!

Kits typically open their eyes between 10-14 days old, so 12 is a good average. Yes, the one with red eyes would be a REW (red or ruby eyed white).

Once eyes are open they’ll start exploring more so it’s important to baby proof the area. Kits can be little escape artists!

Here's our babies, there's seven of them! They all seem to be doing well. One or two seem a little thin but they also look longer than the others.

Attachments

• 20200208_133658.jpg
    20200208_133658.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200214_125749.jpg
    20200214_125749.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back