Help! Arthur's in GI Stasis!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
Arthur has not been eating his pellets, so I brought him in the house to monitor him more closely. I am alone with my two small kids right now, so I wouldn't be able to go out to the barn as often as I would need to check on him.
Anyway, I brought him inside about 11 am yesterday, and he made two very small, hard pellets during the morning, and didn't pee at all for almost twelve hours. I flipped him over and was doing a deep tummy massage in the hopes of loosening the blockage, and after I did that he passed a small amount of urine. I have been giving him plenty of fluids and made him a cocktail of apples, carrots, bananas and pellets. And water, of course.
The major problem is, my bunny vet is an hour away, and I can't ge there because my husband is out of town and I'm alone with the kids. I could take my mother's vehicle, but I don't think that I would be back in time for her to go to work. I don't know whether or not to try taking him to a regular vet, or not. I have some doubts about whether or not they could help him. Anyway, is there anything I could give him to help him pass this? I think I remember seeing on here someone giving a rabbit is stasis hairball rememdy for cats? Could that help?

I always keep some on hand for emergencies (I purchase from Valley Vet). Many pet supply stores also carry it in the dog/cat section and many rabbit supply catalogs have it.

Pam

Nutrical is sold for dogs and cats and can be found in a lot of pet stores. I mix a little in the slurry that I feed them.

Have you given him simethicone (baby gas meds)? This is often very helpful, and if nothing else will lessen the pain. You can also give baby aspirin, and any form of heat will also help him feel more comfortable.

What did his stomach feel like?

You could take him to a regular vet. If you do, I suggest printing off some of the more technical info in the Rabbit Health References GI stasis thread:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11918&forum_id=10

If you know the vet will listen to you, and you want to find out if he has an actual blockage (which is not common, and usually happens because of the intestinal slowdown), then I would think a regular vet could do the xray. The vet may be able to prescribe gut motility drugs. I'm not sure how much I'd trust a vet that doesn't normally treat rabbits. You could consider it as an option if the home remedies don't work.

His stomach felt very full. When I was massaging it, in certain places I would feel like gas, or something moving and hear it gurgle. I will get/give him some gas meds, I had forgotten about that. I will also look for the Nutri-Cal. He doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain, I know ther has been some because he was crunching his teeth last night. I will try this stuff and let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the advice.

I know a lot of people disagree with giving Petromalt or Laxatone (hairball remedies...but if you have tried everything else and you don't have any Reglan (prescription only by vet) I have used it myself in combination with giving fluids,syringing food, and it does work. You put it on their paw so they have to lick it off..about a pea size amt. a couple times a day.Can you get simethicone liquid for the gas?... I have also used mineral oil which is discouraged by some as it is so easy for the rabbit toaspirate it into his lung...but I gave it very very carefully..less sticky than the hairball meds but gets on the rabbits fur and is messy.I am not saying this is the absolute best solution but it is better than a build-up of toxins in his GI tract esp. if you don't have any Baytril to prevent this. Laxatone (for cats) and Petromalt (for small animals is sold over the counter at pet stores.

Ok, does the gas med have to be the baby stuff? I have some of those squishy gas pills (can't think what they're called, they have the liquid inside) for adults, could I pop one of those and give him the liquid inside?
He has been pooping more, but they are still very small and hard. His stomach doesn't feel as full as it did last night, so apparently something is going through.

Amber goes through bouts of stasis-like symptoms quite often (it always clears up quickly). I have had quite a bit of success with giving her water by syringe. Then I take here to the vet who gives her sub-q fluids. She has advised us to call her immediately call her when she shows symptoms, and give her a bit of water while we wait for the appointment.

CAUTION: Syringe slowly so that he does not get water in his lungs.

Prayers for Arthur:pray::pray::pray:

Well, he seems to be doing better. His poops are almost normal now, just a little bit smaller than usual, and he ate his pellets last night. He even ate a piece of apple I gave him. I have discovered that he has quite a temper on him, though! He got so mad at me syringe feeding him, he would bite the towel I had wrapped around him, clamp onto the syringe I was using, and even tried to bite me! LOL
That's gratitude for ya!

:)That's exactly what Amber does. I'm glad to hear that he's doing better.

Well, he has pooped normally for about 24 hours,so back out to the barn he went! LOL I think he missed the doe in the next cage, he didn't seem to mind being back out there!
:bunnydance::bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back