Help! Alternative Flooring Options??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
One of my bunnies has completely destroyed and ripped up her vinyl flooring! Her cage is resting above two other cages, so kind of like a second story. It is an odd rectangle shape, which makes it very difficult to find a good flooring solution! It is 20 ft² and homemade. The majority of my bunnies have vinyl, but this is the 3rd time in 6 months she has chewed it up and it will need replacing! In the past, I have just replaced it with more vinyl you can imagine the price adds up and it takes hours to install each time. I just really hope she did not ingest any. I have sprayed it with a bitter non-chew spray in the past, but clearly that does not work. I've just about had it, I hope you understand how frustrating this is!

Below the vinyl is plain plywood, is this a safe flooring option if left raw? She has babies due the middle of next month, I want something safe for them as well. I can't afford any high-end flooring solution. Normally my other option for flooring is foam puzzle piece mats, but this is definitely a no-go as she destroys pretty much everything I give her. Any other options you can think of??

Here is a picture of the cage when we originally built it... as you can see, the base is plywood as it was my hope to keep it covered with vinyl. Should I just tear up the whole piece of vinyl and leave it like this? Would this lead to problems like sore hocks in the future?? Help I need to find a solution ASAP!
Screenshot_20201118-133220.png

Wow THANK YOU for these creative options!! I will most definitely look into these ideas - what paint brand / type would you recommend? I would like to find a safe one that is durable enough for rabbits...

If that doesn't work out I will focus on finding another material (like the ones you mentioned) but my only worry is that because of the unique shape of her cage (with random 2x4's and wire throughout) it may be hard to find something that can be cut to fit. Thanks again! I am also open two other suggestions still ;)

Can you post a pic how it looks now with vinyl and where it was chewed? Was it on edges or just in the middle of her floor?

You would have to research the paint option. It's not something I've done. I think the plastic sheet may be your best option as I think your bun will probably try and chew the paint and plywood with how determined she sounds, but I don't know how slippery the plastic would be for your buns. One side of it is slightly textured though. And it's just a thin plastic that could easily be cut to size with sheet metal or heavy duty shears. Maybe head to the hardware store to take a look at all your options. Sometimes just looking at it will give you a better idea of what will work and what won't.

Can you post a pic how it looks now with vinyl and where it was chewed? Was it on edges or just in the middle of her floor?
I'm sorry, I did not think to get a picture of the vinyl before removing it! But it was a corner she got into. It's strange because she's been in this specific cage for 6 months now and just recently found this corner to destroy. Before she has also ripped up edges too (in different areas) and I have always replaced those areas with new vinyl but it is time consuming and useless if she is just going to destroy again :(

You would have to research the paint option. It's not something I've done. I think the plastic sheet may be your best option as I think your bun will probably try and chew the paint and plywood with how determined she sounds, but I don't know how slippery the plastic would be for your buns. One side of it is slightly textured though. And it's just a thin plastic that could easily be cut to size with sheet metal or heavy duty shears. Maybe head to the hardware store to take a look at all your options. Sometimes just looking at it will give you a better idea of what will work and what won't.
Thank you! Yes that is my main concern... traction. I use some pretty high-quality vinyl currently and it is very durable and has amazing traction. I also want something easy to clean, and I must admit I've never worked with this plastic material before...

Bunnies need non-slip cushioned flooring. Try stable matting.
I have considered this, too! In my original post, I noted that a few of my buns currently have foam puzzle piece mats (but their cages are on the ground and have straight edges). I have had a bad experience in the past using these mats with chewers, one bun literally at a big chunk of it when I was on vacation and the pet sitter didn't notice until a few days later! Thankfully it did not harm the bunny, but I don't want to take that risk again.

I'm sorry, I did not think to get a picture of the vinyl before removing it! But it was a corner she got into. It's strange because she's been in this specific cage for 6 months now and just recently found this corner to destroy. Before she has also ripped up edges too (in different areas) and I have always replaced those areas with new vinyl but it is time consuming and useless if she is just going to destroy again :(
I see, that's why I always cover edges with wood, you can still use vinyl (I use only textured for better grip and also you can place a soft material like a warm blanket under it so it will be softer better for avoiding sore hocks) but just fix the wood sleepers all by perimeter so she can't reach them. She will like wood and will be chewing on it for sure but you can replace it when needed, fully or just a section of it.

I see, that's why I always cover edges with wood, you can still use vinyl (I use only textured for better grip and also you can place a soft material like a warm blanket under it so it will be softer better for avoiding sore hocks) but just fix the wood sleepers all by perimeter so she can't reach them. She will like wood and will be chewing on it for sure but you can replace it when needed, fully or just a section of it.
Surprisingly, that's actually how it was! Not quite sure how, but she managed to rip up the vinyl even though it was previously glued to the plywood and stapled/wedged under wood pieces..

I had a rubber floor put in for my bunnies. The same type of floor that gyms use. It offers lots or traction and they can’t chew it. It is also relatively easy to clean and doesn’t absorb liquid.

I had a rubber floor put in for my bunnies. The same type of floor that gyms use. It offers lots or traction and they can’t chew it. It is also relatively easy to clean and doesn’t absorb liquid.
Thanks! How do you prevent chewing?? The rabbit I have is extremely determined, I am afraid to give her anything she might ruin!

The rubber is glued to the concrete floor in my basement. That makes it impossible for them to chew it as there is no way for them to get an edge or a corner to chew on. It was not cheap however. I had the old flooring removed so the rubber could be glued to the concrete.

If it is just the corners that she is getting to, then you can lay a piece of porcelain or ceramic tile in the corner on top of the vinyl. Just about any size tile will work -- a couple 12" x12" tiles or a 12"x24" might span one side corner to corner. The added bonus is that buns often like to lay on cool tiles when it is warm.

I found my solution! Hardwood flooring. As funny as it may sound, I stumbled across a very good deal (second hand, new because it was leftover from a big project...) and decided to give it a whirl. So far it is holding up great, as she obviously can't do much damage to it haha :) It is the tongue and groove type, so no glue used and installment was quite simple just clicking together the vinyl planks! It as many "wood" grooves and is a gorgeous gray color. Her cage is 20 ft² and her babies are starting to hop out of the nest box, so we got it installed just in time 🎉 Thank you everyone for the suggestions!!

PXL_20201228_012229312.MP~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20201228_012229312.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20201228_012229312.MP~2.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back