Help 3 Week Old Babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good deal....I don't often get the yuck butt...but you just never know. I used to see it more on the old feed, but since I switched about a year ago or a lil more I don't see it as often.

Sounds like you are doing great with kinda a touchy situation! :) Hollands are the BEST!

Yes you did..lol, I had to look back...I was 2nd guessing myself. Interesting tho, you don't often (around here anyway) see tort mini lops....is the other a broken tort? Kinda looks like it...both VERY common holland colors..but not mini's...like I said, around here anyway! :)

Either way, sounds like its going well and you have everything well under control. :)

Keep a close eye on them, the sooner the better, especially on the hay, will help keep them dry if they are wanting to get lose poops at all, it s/ help quite a bit.

I've not had to give lil ones the propbiotic at all, but others w/ lots of exp have it seems...so the sooner the better. As Blue Giants stated above tho, you can mash up cecal from another rabbit to help balance their gut..it's kinda gross ( I have a STRONG stomach, but those things can almost make me puke) but works well! :)

Ok so does the cecal have to be fresh? And will they eat if for sure if I mix it with pumpkin pie?

I have a little bit of hey here, it isn't moldy. It has been in the shed though for about a month. And it is about 4-5 months old in total.

as long as its not moldy it s/b ok,..may not be super fresh, but as long as its not moldy it s/n't make them sick or anything.

The fresh ones mash better in my experience..but either would probably work if you are mashing it inside something else...g/l w/ that....hope you don't gag easily. :vomit:

I usually have a pretty strong stomach lol

Unless it comes to a bunny with Diarrhea. Then my stomach can't hold it.

Anyways when would be the best time to get it? How often do bunnies produce it? I have had rabbits for 3 years and still dont know lol

I think more at night, hence them being called 'nite poops' by some. But I see them randomly in different cages, I find my does on litters produce more of them...just keep an eye on those pans and I'm sure you'll come across the 'find'.

Gotta get up early to show tomorrow...so heading out....ask away if more questions, i'll help when i can, lots of experience from folks here, you'll get good answers!

Take care and keep us posted on how they do.

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
Did I say they were Hollands? They are actually Mini's. I get them confused all the time lol

You might want to double check on that, those look like Holland Lop babies to me, NOT Mini Lops.

-----

Annie

Did you call the humane society? If the conditions were as bad as you say, I would not mess around with trying to contact the breeder-just call the HS. If she's doing nothing wrong, they will be in and out of her rabbitry in 15 minutes.

anneq wrote:
3 weeks is way to young to separate the babies from mom.
The earliest my doe would start weaning is 4weeks, and even then she would be nursing 1x a day instead of 2x. Usually the kits will start nibbling on hay at 2-3weeks of age, but that hardly means they should be completely off mom's milk.

If you have the babies already, you could try some old fashioned oats (not quick or instant) mixed in with pellets, if they take that.
Did you find out what the babies are eating since they are not nursing anymore?

I agree - my former does nursed until 4 weeks and then started backing off the babies...but babies out of the nestbox at 10 days started nibbling on pellets and hay here...

The Checkered Giants I now have were kept on mom's milk a lot longer and the boys and girls are still with their littermates (two girls and two boys here). The girls are very bonded and to separate them I know would stress them. The boys are a little more independent so they will be separated once they start to show more buck like behavior.

Good luck...the babies look like Holland Lop babies to me... those not in the know sometimes think Mini Lops are the smallest Lops but that is not the case - a show quality Holland cannot be over 4 lbs...but brood does and pet quality can be larger. I think Mini Lops go up to six pounds but I do not have my Standard of Perfection right in front of me at the moment.) :)

Denise

I agree, they look like Holland Lops. ;)
If the breeder doesn't take good care of her rabbits, she probably doesn't know what type of lops she's breeding. ;) She probably does have Holland Lops, but thinks their Mini Lops. ;)

Emily

Mini's don't typically come in tort...I'd say they're Hollands with pretty much 100% certainty. Hopefully this is not a breeding pair though if you don't have pedigrees on them?

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
I have to go buy more hay. I'm currently right out.
Anyways here is a pic:
The one on the left is the doe, her name is Tessa & the one on the right is a buck and his name is Firefly.
21cck5u.jpg
These babies are ADORABLE!! :inlove: I hope they grow up to be healthy adults.....April

They are at a friend of mines house who raises Hollands. One of her mother bunnies took them in lol She has 3 kits of her own :) They all snuggle it is very cute :]

No, they do not have their pedigrees. But my 4H group and my leader don't beleive in just breeding for show. Alot of the 4H bunnies are unpedigreed pets

Latest posts

Back