Help 3 Week Old Babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBirchRabbitry

Reaction score
I went to a breeders house today to pick up 2 Holland Lops. I got there, and I was not happy.

She went in the house to get her calendar to check when they were born, so I took a look around.

Her bucks had dog cages, the ones with the really spaced out bottoms. But the dog crates were held in the air by skinny beams. If the rabbits wanted to go to the front to get a drink their legs would fall right through the bars. That made me mad. The rabbits couldn't even stretch out.

Anyways I'm calling the humane society tommorow.

Anyways so she comes back out with the calendar, the babies were born on the 2nd of June.

Way to young to take home right? Well she had them seperated from their mom already.

Will they be ok? I don't think they are eating pellets. Should I bottle feed them? I don't have any nursing mothers ATM.

I need help, I don't want them to die :expressionless They aren't starving though you can tell that.

Maybe you should talk to her about it before calling the humane society. Though I agree that the conditions aren't too good, she might not realize. Tell her that you will have to call the humane society if she doesn't do anything. Also explain to her that 3 weeks old is far too young for rabbits to be away from their mom and ask if you can put them back with her? Just my suggestions, I might be wrong. Good luck! :)

Well when I got home I messaged her and told her that she should put wooden bottoms in the dog crates if that is what she is going to use. I also told her it made me mad to see them like that.

Also while I was there, I asked about the mom, she said her milk just dried up -.- She is a weirdo this woman, like seriously

Thanks for the advice :]

Do you have any pics of the baby? Give the baby lots of hay and pellets. You can even try some Cheerios. At this stage, you can give some KMR, Kitten Milk Replacer in a dish and let the baby lick it up. No need to bottle feed it. You can also try putting some in an eye dropper and letting the baby take it that way.

I would like to see a pic of the baby first though because if this lady is truely a weirdo, maybe she got the date wrong.

Glad the baby found a new and better home though :)

Sharon

3 weeks is way to young to separate the babies from mom.
The earliest my doe would start weaning is 4weeks, and even then she would be nursing 1x a day instead of 2x. Usually the kits will start nibbling on hay at 2-3weeks of age, but that hardly means they should be completely off mom's milk.

If you have the babies already, you could try some old fashioned oats (not quick or instant) mixed in with pellets, if they take that.
Did you find out what the babies are eating since they are not nursing anymore?

I wouldn't really suggest KMR at this point in time. Although it is way too young to be weaned, it's done. KMR is not really a good rabbit milk replacer, it's just something that is used to try and hold babies over until weaning age. It's really not nurtritionally an excellent choice, more of a last resort. I wouldn't want to mess with their systems anymore than they already have been with a sudden change in diet.

So since these babies are already weaned, I'd suggest restricting their pellets. Give them unlimited quantities of alfalfa hay, if you can. Alfalfa is higher in protein, calcium, and fiber than usual grass hay which will be good for the babies. Also offer a small handful of rolled oats daily and limited pellets...maybe around a half cup between the two of them. Offer water in a bottle and a dish until you figure out which they prefer.

As long as they're eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom, they should be ok. But in the future, NEVER take babies this young again. That's just supporting her crazy breeding practices, not helping.:(

You gave this woman money? IMO if I had that many serious questions about the care (and age) of the rabbits, I'd have just walked out of there. There are plenty of breeders out there who take good care of their rabbits. Why buy from a questionable one?

Oh dear, i imagine you were trying to save them from this lady and hoping you could help them more as she obviously didnt have them with the mum anyway.
Dont be too discouraged, see what she says and try get some advice on who is best to contact about your concerns xx
Hope bunnies are doing well give us an update and maybe some pics ?????

Well I felt bad I wasn not going to leave them there.

Also terrellflyer don't you ever tell me again that I need to learn more about rabbits. If anyone doesnt't know what they are talking about it is you. I didn't see you giving any helpful options.

We are going to give them Quaker Oats, mixed with their pellets.

Hi,

Kitten Milk Replacer, Goat's Milkand oats are all totally inappropriate. While these guys may nibble on solids, they should still be on formula. A mom's milk is very rich and even our professional formulas can't match even a wild rabbit much less the richer milk of a domestic. The best possibility is to see if you can find a breeder with a lactating doe and see if the doe will accept them. Many breeders are cautious about doing this as they are concerned about bringing in a disease from other rabbits....and it is a very valid concern. I feed baby rabbits Escilac Puppy Powder (not the premix liquid....the powder). We initially mix 1 part powder to 4 parts water and gradually increase the concentration over a period of 3-4 days to a normal concentration of 1 part powder to 2 parts water. As we get an acclimated gut, we add a higher protein/fat formula called Multi Milk. Both of these formulas are medium protein/fat (more appropriate than KMR or Goat's Milk) and low/trace lactose. Esbilac Powder can be found at most chain pet stores....Multi Milk as to be ordered from a Pet Ag or Zoologic dealer....I order it from www.squirrelsandmore.com . I also add a probiotic....powdered Bene Bac....as this will simulate the change of pH in the mother's milk which leads to an acidic GI climate which is favorable for beneficial bacteria to thrive. I wean cottontails on greens....and have done the same for the few domestics I have hand weaned. With domestics, I would offer the crushed leaves from alfalfa hay along with a higher protein type pellet. I have found that domestics have a much easier wean than cottontails....domestics are older and their guts are more established so it leads to a much gentler weaning. Good luck.

Randy

The oats/limited pelletsand hay will do them good. You might consider some probiotics if you can get some. (BeneBac or similar) They are at the age where mom would be encouraging them to eat some of her cecotropes to start the right bacterial balance in their gut.

If you can't find any, you can try using fresh cecotropes from a healthy doe... in the past (when nothing else was available) I would mix a little bit of fresh cecotropes from another doe with fresh pumpkin and baby Pedialyte (enough to let it go through an eye dropper or syringe, if the babies were really young. Or I'd give it to them in a dish if they would take it from there.). I fed it to them once a day every other day until they were 6 weeks old. Seemed to help keep their gut balanced and I didn't have any diarrhea issues.

Edited to add: LOL! See Randy has added pretty much the same idea... Probiotics are needed... I type too slow!

lol ok I will see if I can get some Probiotics.

I wont be going to town for about a week. So I will try getting some from a healthy bunny and mixing it with Pumpkin pie.

They were not drinking last night or today, so I switched them to a water dish, they are drinking ALOT now. And I gave them pellets with oats and they are eating that aswell :)

Thanks everyone will be sure to post pics later on today :)

I have some suggestions as well. While I'm not experienced in having such young bunnies or even babies, I have Dewey. When I first got him he was so tiny (just genetics) that he had trouble drinking from the water bottle, eating hay, and pellets.

I see that you already started giving them a bowl of water, that's great! It should make it much easier. Are you feeding Alfalfa pellets? They are specifically made for growing or pregnant rabbit's. I placed Dewey's pellets in the blender and set it on a very low setting, just so it would cut them into smaller pieces. This really helped make him eat more for it was easier, I also cut his hay into smaller pieces with a pair of scissors.

:goodluck

I have to go buy more hay. I'm currently right out.
Anyways here is a pic:
The one on the left is the doe, her name is Tessa & the one on the right is a buck and his name is Firefly.
21cck5u.jpg

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
Well I felt bad I wasn not going to leave them there.

Also terrellflyer don't you ever tell me again that I need to learn more about rabbits.

I don't think he was referring to you, here. (At least I hope not, if he was, he was I'm sure just confused).

I really don't blame you for taking them, but leaving them with the breeder and calling the Humane Society would have been my recommended course of action. I hate supporting these practices and inspiring another litter by giving her the business.

That said, easier said than done! I don't know that I would have followed my own advice. But the longer they stay with their mom, the healthier their immune systems and other workings will be down the road. Not sure if she was telling the truth about the mom having no milk, but I would have strongly suggested she try reuniting them. In some states I do believe it's actually illegal to sell them that young.

sas :(

They do look awful young....are they out of the same litter? The one on the right looks a lil younger to me, but that can happen in same litter, just like people..different sizes. :) They are very cute...

sounds like you've already gotten good advice. I raise hollands and don't even think about weaning until 7 weeks or so, unless for some reason mom is getting grumpy w/ them...they won't go to a new home til at least 8 weeks and I know they've been eating/drinking for awhile very well on their own.

Only other thing I can think of....Keep a close eye on their behinds, young hollands can get what I call yuck butt and it can get really messy, if so, just trim it down good and by the time it grows out they s/b caring for themselves better and be fine...that baby textured hair can be like glue for baby poops.

Good luck..sounds like you are doing what you can.

Thank you for the advice!

The little male is constantly cleaning himself lol They both have very clean bums :) They are not out of the same litter, I had originally came to pick up a breeding pair and she said she had 2 litters ready to go, so I took one from each. There are still 3 from the little males litter left and 4 from the females litter.

Latest posts

Back