Help 12 week bunny diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selena RD

Reaction score
My male new bunny i got 3 weeks ago started not eating and drinking and not pooping then a few hours later of giving baby food and water big hard poops came out then he only wanted to eat carrots kale and alfalfa but not a lot and then only pee 3 times and not as happy as he is and either move around a little bit but mostly in a loaf or he would kick his back legs out and when i picked him up a lot of water sounds and when i was feeding him a lot of rumbles in my hands and then a human like smell of diarrhea and now just mushy wet poop comes out is there anything i can do for him till we can get to the vet in the morning? And his name is Yugi

And his diet is either kale or carrots or papaya or pineapple only once a week. cliantro bok choy spinach parsley Bell peppers celery and he only has 3 of these a day and unlimited pellets hay sometimes alfalfa and oat hay and dried cranberries

This is what his poop has been lately

Attachments

• 20190531_012122.jpg
    20190531_012122.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 9
He looks so in pain i can't wait for the vet to open :(

Attachments

• 20190531_054101.jpg
    20190531_054101.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 12
This must be so stressful!

Posturing like loafing and pressing the belly against the floor are both likely indicators of uncomfortable gas. That may explain the "rumble" sounds you describe.

When I think of gas, I consider what may be causing it. You've outlined a diet with what I would consider unusual items for a 12wo rabbit, including all the veggies and sweet items, like carrots and dried cranberries. Typically, rabbits under 6 months old should not be given anything aside from hay and pellets because their stomach hasn't developed enough to properly break down vegetables. When the stomach isn't "working right", gas is produced, and this can be painful for a rabbit.

Mushy poops and runny poops can be a sign of gas as well as low fiber. If your rabbit is eating a lot of veggies and sweet treats, he may not be eating as much hay as he should (which should be around 75% of his diet at this point; people say different %'s, but the idea is, it's very high).

Can you explain what his daily diet has been, including quantities of food?

... Also, diet aside, if it's getting warmer where you live, your rabbit may be shedding. What has his grooming routine been? It could be he has ingested a lot of excess fur when cleaning himself and it has begun to clog him up. Fur can also pass through and be covered in poop, making poops appear like a string of pearls of a longish log. If you break a part a poop and see a thick bundle of fur, then you know this is the case. If it's just a soft, big poop, then concentrate more on what is outlined above.

He barely sheds and all of his vegetables is organic and at

8am he gets his cliantro

And

8pm night he'll get either a mix of

Celery bok choy spinach

Or

Parsley bell peppers

And the vet give metronidazole benzoate for every 12 hours for 5 days with just a diet of just hay unless he doesn't eat to give him baby food

Did the vet also give you cholestyramine? It helps absorb the toxins released by the harmful bacteria causing the diarrhea.

Is he just producing mushy poop or is he mostly round fecal balls and just some mushy poop occasionally?

No just the vet gave me that and it just started yesterday i have not seen a normal poop since yesterday and at first it was large egg poops then it was round poops stuck together then mushy poop then diarrhea and now just mushy poop

I would ask for some cholestyramine (Questran). It's really important to protect from absorption of the toxins from the bacteria causing the diarrhea . Good fluid therapy is also essential when giving Questran.

Unless he's already significantly improved, then it's probably not necessary at this point. But if he's still having bouts of pudding like or watery diarrhea I would request it.

Update he has eating a bit of hay but not enough to stop the baby food and he does drink much more water now

He is looking better I'm really glad

Attachments

• 1559357225952466439043419679712.jpg
    1559357225952466439043419679712.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back