Hello

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kksdad

Reaction score
We found Mordecai in our front yard one morning in 2013. My daughter and I were getting ready to leave the house one day when she said, "Dad, there is a rabbit in our front yard." I thought she meant a wild rabbit, but when I looked out the door I saw a little black and white rabbit digging in our flower bed. I walked toward him and to my surprise he let me walk right over and pick him up. We put up flyers and asked our neighbors if they knew of anyone who had lost a rabbit but no one knew anything about him and there was no response the flyers. We started looking into finding a shelter that would take him, but after ten days or so we realized that he was already part of the family and that he was going to be staying with us permanently. He spends most of his time in my office and his favorite game is to chase after me while I run around the house.

Just like how we acquired Bonny. Took a new rescue to the vet for a well check and when I came home there was a bunny on my lawn. I called her and she came right over to me and let me pick her up. Off to the vet again and we had a new family member. I knew where she came from and when I asked them they claimed they had given her to a friend ( they just turned her loose) so I never mentioned I had her. Have seen all kinds of "found" bunny ads but never one "lost" bunny ad in more than a decade. Enjoy.

One of our neighbors said they had seen Mordecai in their yard a day before we found him, but they were the only ones who had ever seen him. He was in good shape when we found him so we don't think he was out on his own too long. Given the number of hawks in our neighborhood Mordi was fortunate not to have wound up as some bird's dinner:a few months after we found Mordi he was sitting looking out our storm door when a hawk crashed into the glass trying to catch him.

Hello,
I keep my bunny all day out on the balcony filled with wild plants and panels, umbrella,chairs,etc
I feed wild birds off the balcony, my bunny is acquainted with hawks or prey birds when the finches I feed scram away and make a quiet sound. She is perceptive to everything that goes around and knows she has many hiding spots all around. I spend my days with her out there and at sundown we bring her indoors in her carriage. We had her for almost 9yrs and when the balcony was renovated and painted we had to keep her indoors and she didn't like it. She would thump the whole time to go outside. Indoors it's not bunny proofed and we have cables she could snap, but other than that she would be ok. Her personality is amazing, she actually thinks many times she is human. When I'm talking with her and make a pause she opens her mouth mimicking speaking like it's just adorable. If she doesn't agree with me she shakes her head/ears and when she is upset with me for not letting her have something she turns her back to me (she pouts) just like a child. Whoever thought rabbits are easy pets they were wrong. Rabbits are high maintenance pets. Very sociable. I found out there is a myspace for rabbits, why not? here is her page:
http://www.bunspace.com/view_bunny?bunid=26228
It's great hearing stories about rabbits and feel like home when I go on this website or www.BunSpace.com website
Cheers to all caregivers aka vets and rabbits foster/parents !!

Welcome to RO~! I have never come across a dumped (or escaped) bunny, but I read about it so often! My son's little girl Jodi was actually on her way to being just let loose. The family grew tired of her. The mere thought just breaks my heart. What a blessed and lucky little bunbun Mordecai is!

Thanks very much. I think we were very lucky to find Mordecai. He is such a wonderful little guy and has taught us that pretty much everything we thought we knew about rabbits was wrong.

A quick update. We have added a second rabbit to our household. A co-worker of my wife was offered a rabbit by a neighbor. The rabbit had been purchased as a gift for the neighbor's child. The child lost interest in her and she was being kept in a cage in the garage. My wife and daughters went and saw the rabbit who was very overweight and had what our vet described as the worst case of ear mites he had ever seen. We named her Ava and once her ears started feeling better it turned out that she loves being petted. attached is a picture of Mordecai (on the left) and (Ava on the right) hanging out under my computer desk.

avamordi2.jpg

They look so happy together :inlove:

I think it's so wonderful you've taken in both of these rabbits and provided them with a good home.

Thanks. Both of them have brought a lot of joy to our home.

Latest posts

Back