Hello!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrampNPigeon

Reaction score
Just found these forums the other day when Istarted looking for information on bunnies. See.... the Easter Bunnygreated my husband and I about a week early this year and in a rathersuprising way! My husband was on his way home from work on the Tuesdaybefore Easter and when he got home he told me I had to go on a walkwith him but he wouldn't tell me why. Well... we walked two streetsover in our neighborhood and he points the flashlight at something inthe street (keep in mind this is about midnight). We're still a bit faraway to see for sure what it is but I can tell right off it's not yournormal cat or dog. Sure enough... there is a rabbit smack in the middleof the road! As we draw closer my husband has an odd look on his face."That's not the same one I saw before.... that one had white markingson it along with the grey". Sure enough... hiding under some brush astorm the week before had knocked down was a second bunny. Well... nowwe've got two bunnies in the middle of the road that are obviouslytame. They will let us walk up to them but stay just far enough that wecan't catch them. So, I send my husband back to the house for somegreen leaf lettuce and a cage we happen to keep on hand for all thestray's I bring home. (Yes, we keep a cage just for that reason as allour own dogs have outgrown it.) Finally, we get them hearded into thecage and get them back home... settle them in the best we can for thenight and see how they do. Next morning we are still trying to decidewhat to do with them. One (we now call him/her Fumper) is still veryskittish and really wants nothing to do with us, he/she is the mostbeautiful and sleek grey rabbit I think I have ever seen. The other(now named Pigeon) is mostly grey but with a ring of white aroundhis/her neck and shoulders and a white nose. Her coat doesn't seem tobe in as good of shape (more coarse and with some rough patches thatlook to be old scars), but she is the friendlier of the two... or Ishould say just not quite so terrified. Well... we've had them over aweek now and they are starting to settle in a little. (They are on topof my husbands desk hiding in a little nook cleaning themselves atm!)That's the story of our bunnies so far. I'm not sure if we can keepthem longterm just yet but the idea has definitely crossed our minds!They are just so darn adorable! The biggest hurdle I see right now isthat they don't seem to be litter box trained at all and so my basement(where they are staying because it is quiter than the rest of the houseand I can keep the dogs out of it) has mess all OVER it. This isdefinitely something I can not live with. Any idea how long it willtake to get them potty trained??? Other than that things are goingpretty smooth. As soon as I can afford it they will go to the vet toconfirm their sex and have a check-up(Pigeon seems to be a female andFumper is either female or a neutered male, not sure). Learned a lotabout rabbits in a week though.... read everything I could find so farabou feeding, care, maintanence. In case you can't tell I'm a hugeanimal lover and have had all kinds of animals.. including horses,dogs, cats, ferrets (which I'm learning are pretty similar to therabbits in a few ways), goats and even had rabbits before... but I wasmuch younger that time and don't remember much about their care.Anyhow.. now that I've bored you all with the details.. any extrahelpful hints and tips would be great.

Welcome Welcome Welcome Pigeon and Fumper!

Such cute names!

Sounds like your little long earred friends were let loose or gotloose. Wild rabbits would never have let you near them. I'm assumingthey were pets and have lost their way. You may put up a bulletin atthe laundromat, post office, etc. about them.

There is a post called "Litterbox Training". You may have to go througha page or two to get to it, but I'd suggest you start there as manypeople have given good advice about it.

Do keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back