Hello

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narada

Reaction score
I just joined the forum, as I'm looking into getting a pet rabbit for the first time, and doing the needed research on Google. I'm not big on surprises and not a fan of spontaneity, so I tend to research things into the ground. I figure anything Google cannot tell me I can find out here. I'm planning a move to the suburbs (Riverside area) before the end of the year, so there is enough time to become acquainted with rabbit care.

Hello,

Welcome to the forums!

Just a few notes/considerations on getting a Rabbit for the first time:

-It would be the best if you could adapt a Bunny that has been abandoned or in need of having a caring family
-If you are an outgoing person/like getting trips/wellness stuff Rabbits might not be the ideal choice for you (They can not be left alone for like 24 hours)
-Rabbits tend to get health problems relativly easily and the cost can be high (depending on the problem of course)
-If I could only house a Rabbit in a cage and not let him/her fully "free roam" I wouldn't adopt one
-If I'm considering having a human child in the near future I would cross out "adopting a Rabbit" from my list
-Also while Rabbits are really clean creatures keep in mind that your house will be full of hay all the time :D (and Rabbit fur)
-Since they are prey animals they tend to "hide their health issues", so you have to pay attention to any kind of change in their habbits/routine. Even the smallest one could indicate the beginning of a health issue.

I'm writing these as facts, and to get a general idea about how caring for a Rabbit looks like/what you need to "give".
It's much better to know these things early on, rather than "giving back the Rabbit" due to one of these problems.

Asking questions on this forum is a good way to get consensus-type answers from real rabbit owners. 🤗 So it's wonderful to have you join us. (There is plenty of misleading info about rabbits out there on Google.)

It's refreshing to come across people like you who like to research before getting a pet. Too many times people bring a rabbit home and then try to figure out what it needs.

@Ampee brought up points that potential bunny owners may not be aware of or realize concerning rabbits. One can see some common rabbit myths here. As a researcher, I think you'll appreciate seeing more of just what to expect with rabbit ownership at that link.

Welcome to the forum!

Hello,

Welcome to the forums!

Just a few notes/considerations on getting a Rabbit for the first time:

-It would be the best if you could adapt a Bunny that has been abandoned or in need of having a caring family
-If you are an outgoing person/like getting trips/wellness stuff Rabbits might not be the ideal choice for you (They can not be left alone for like 24 hours)
-Rabbits tend to get health problems relativly easily and the cost can be high (depending on the problem of course)
-If I could only house a Rabbit in a cage and not let him/her fully "free roam" I wouldn't adopt one
-If I'm considering having a human child in the near future I would cross out "adopting a Rabbit" from my list
-Also while Rabbits are really clean creatures keep in mind that your house will be full of hay all the time :D (and Rabbit fur)
-Since they are prey animals they tend to "hide their health issues", so you have to pay attention to any kind of change in their habbits/routine. Even the smallest one could indicate the beginning of a health issue.

I'm writing these as facts, and to get a general idea about how caring for a Rabbit looks like/what you need to "give".
It's much better to know these things early on, rather than "giving back the Rabbit" due to one of these problems.
Thanks for the advice. Some of those requirements I can meet, and some not. I've had experience with pet adoptions before, when I got Buddy from the SPCA in February. While they were not too bad, the other adoption agencies I dealt with before them were. Applications/questionnaires full of privacy invasive rot (reminiscent of voir dire), followed by a list of demands of what one can and cannot do. While some may not find that unreasonable, and happily sign on the dotted line...I'm not one of them. I will be buying from a breeder with return privilege, should things not work out, as there are no guarantees in life.

I don't do trips, unless you count being gone all day once a month to take care of banking, bills, etc., and gone half a day (maybe twice a week) for groceries. I'm dependent on public transit, so this stuff takes way longer than it should....but not 24 hours. I'm mostly a recluse. I'm in the process of looking for a vet that does rabbits in Riverbank, but will likely have to wait til I actually move to make much progress.

My plan is to keep the rabbit in a sort of hutch at night, and bring it in during the day for free roam. The daytime temperature in Riverbank is only tolerable for a few months during winter. Beyond that, it's like upper 80s to 100F. Night temperature appears to be bearable for rabbits. I will be moving into a small open-concept studio, so a rabbit on the rampage during the night would soon become a deal-breaker.

Yeah, I don't do screeching kiddies, barking dogs or anything else that silicone earplugs cannot handle. The place has hardwood floors which are easy to deal with, compared to the carpeting at my current residence. A broom, dust mop and wet mop should do the job. As said, this will be my first rabbit, so whether or not I will be able to spot health issues early on by change in habits/routine is doubtful. Everyone was a first-timer at one point, the breeder will sell it to someone if not me, and at least I don't plan on eating it, so it could be worse.

Asking questions on this forum is a good way to get consensus-type answers from real rabbit owners. 🤗 So it's wonderful to have you join us. (There is plenty of misleading info about rabbits out there on Google.)

It's refreshing to come across people like you who like to research before getting a pet. Too many times people bring a rabbit home and then try to figure out what it needs.

@Ampee brought up points that potential bunny owners may not be aware of or realize concerning rabbits. One can see some common rabbit myths here. As a researcher, I think you'll appreciate seeing more of just what to expect with rabbit ownership at that link.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the link; I've added it to my reference list. Spontaneity seems to be the guiding principle of most. I learned early on that contingency planning was best, which requires prior planning to start. After 60+ years, it's given me few disappointments (nor unpleasant surprises).

Latest posts

Back