Hello there

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashee2012

Reaction score
Hello! I just got my first bunny and I've been learning a lot. His name is David Hasselhopp. I feel like I could take better care of my rabbit if I knew more about him. I have no idea how old he is or what breed he is. He's very curious and rambunctious. He's still smol so I don't think he's very old. I'm in the process of building him a bunny mansion so any tips or tricks would be very helpful. He's also nipping a lot? It doesn't hurt and I don't think he means to hurt us. It's like he's testing to see if we're food lol He is incredibly well fed, but he's already a bit spoiled. If someone could give me an idea of his age and breed and maybe some advice for the nipping that would be great. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220628-155444_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220628-155444_Snapchat.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220629_215825.jpg
    20220629_215825.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220629_220306.jpg
    20220629_220306.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to the form. He is such a sweet baby. The nipping part might be he is kissing you. They are pretty particular about who they kiss. When did you get him?

Welcome to the form. He is such a sweet baby. The nipping part might be he is kissing you. They are pretty particular about who they kiss. When did you get him?
I've only had him for about two weeks. He seems to be settling in pretty good. He's constantly zooming around and going binkies. So I think he's happy but I'm not entirely sure. I just want him to be happy and healthy here.

Your bun looks like he might be a netherland dwarf bunny like mine! This breed stays small, so he could be young or old though if he’s really active and nibbles fingers, I’d guess on the younger end of the scale.

My rabbit Minyeong (Min-Min) also likes chewing things. He nipped when he was very young but grew out of it as he got older. I usually provide things like cardboard or bunny safe wood to chew on which he loves😁

(He jumped into the trash can himself, I just heard him eating papers and went to investigate)
F069ABEA-37F8-475A-98B3-2BA38C5B07EF.jpegF1E779F3-53C7-4A6B-9A3A-742ED7CABE4C.jpegCBE3D1B6-A595-48A5-8482-07903D8F6C57.jpeg

Your bun looks like he might be a netherland dwarf bunny like mine! This breed stays small, so he could be young or old though if he’s really active and nibbles fingers, I’d guess on the younger end of the scale.

My rabbit Minyeong (Min-Min) also likes chewing things. He nipped when he was very young but grew out of it as he got older. I usually provide things like cardboard or bunny safe wood to chew on which he loves😁

(He jumped into the trash can himself, I just heard him eating papers and went to investigate)
View attachment 61469View attachment 61470View attachment 61468
Lol!!! He looks so sassy in that bottom picture! I'm wondering about the age because I know he's not neutered. From what I've read they have to be neutered when they're young or they can get aggressive and territorial. I don't know much about him. I got him at rural king so I can only imagine the life he had before me.

Welcome to the forum!
You can check here for info on rabbit diet:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/a-proper-diet-for-pet-rabbits.101066/
I was going to link about housing as well, but it sounds like you have been letting him at least partially free-roam. Here is a link on litter training and litter box setup:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
Hopefully it is just nipping and not actual biting (drawing blood). You can try discouraging nips a couple of ways. One is to yelp a high pitch when he nips -- this lets him know that you didn't like it. Another possible way to discourage him is immediately after a nip, gently but firmly press his head down to the floor and hold for a few seconds. It is believed that this is similar to the way a momma rabbit may discipline her kits.

Lol!!! He looks so sassy in that bottom picture! I'm wondering about the age because I know he's not neutered. From what I've read they have to be neutered when they're young or they can get aggressive and territorial. I don't know much about him. I got him at rural king so I can only imagine the life he had before me.
My bun is 1 year and a few months old. He isn’t neutered but is extremely friendly, has kept up his litterbox habits and doesn’t spray anymore (he used to do a tiny spray dribble around my dad at night but has stopped in the last few months).

Personally, I think bunnies are affected by hormones differently so some may get a more territorial/aggressive when they mature while others keep a fairly even temperament regardless of the onset of hormones. In the end, it depends on the bunny.

You’ll definitely learn more about your bunny the longer you have him! 😁

Welcome to the forum!
You can check here for info on rabbit diet:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/a-proper-diet-for-pet-rabbits.101066/
I was going to link about housing as well, but it sounds like you have been letting him at least partially free-roam. Here is a link on litter training and litter box setup:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
Hopefully it is just nipping and not actual biting (drawing blood). You can try discouraging nips a couple of ways. One is to yelp a high pitch when he nips -- this lets him know that you didn't like it. Another possible way to discourage him is immediately after a nip, gently but firmly press his head down to the floor and hold for a few seconds. It is believed that this is similar to the way a momma rabbit may discipline her kits.
I will definitely try that! He does mostly run free lol he's definitely going to be spoiled haha

Welcome to rabbits online.
This is a wonderful forum to educate yourself and others.

Very nice looking bunny. And welcome to the forum.

Latest posts

Back