Hello! Looking to buy/adopt a bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelBunnies

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to this forum and would like to potentially get a rabbit. I'm intrested in a lot of the dwarf breeds including... Dwarf hotot, holland lop, Netherland dwarf, lion head, and possibly a Fuzzy lop. I'm probably the most interested in the Dwarf Hotot because of their unique coloring around their eyes. I also love the lop ears of the holland lop. Have any of you experienced a Dwarf Hotot? I haven't found much information on their personalities. I've heard the holland lops are very docile and good for first time owners like myself. What breed do you think is better for first time owners? I would like to get a rabbit no bigger than 4-5lbs. I have two dogs that are 5 pounds and I feel like they would get along better because their size would be similar. Both dogs are very sweet and smart so it wouldn't take long for me to train them.

I have a holland lop and a pomeranian. They give each other kisses through my buns cage. Holland lops are a very good breed! :)

Aw! That's so cute! Did they ever not like each other? What did u do to train them to get along? I have a Yorkshire Terrier named Cuddles and a Maltese/Parti Yorkie mix named Cookie. The Yorkie breed was used for hunting rats and mice in clothing mills. Hoping their instincts don't kick in!

I have a toy poodle and a holland lop and supervised they're okay but the dog gets jealous and sometimes goes after the rabbit. The rabbit will run away but surprisingly not really terrified, just has a "Who do you think you are" attitude towards the dog.

If I could make a suggestion it would be to make sure that when you introduce the rabbit pay special attention to your dogs and make sure that they don't get jealous and don't feel like the rabbit is "taking all the attention away" so that there are no jealousy issues.

Thankfully the dog is at my parents house and these two won't have to interact except over the holidays.

Where are you located? I could recommend some reputable breeders.

I have both Holland Lops and Dwarf Hotots. DH temperaments vary. In general, they are more shy than the Hollands, but still docile and easy to handle. However, I've also had some that become aggressive around maturity or were too skittish to place in pet homes. I do recommend DH as pets, but if you decide to go with one of those, you'll definitely want to work with a good breeder who can help you find a rabbit with a favorable temperament.

Where are you located? I could recommend some reputable breeders.

I have both Holland Lops and Dwarf Hotots. DH temperaments vary. In general, they are more shy than the Hollands, but still docile and easy to handle. However, I've also had some that become aggressive around maturity or were too skittish to place in pet homes. I do recommend DH as pets, but if you decide to go with one of those, you'll definitely want to work with a good breeder who can help you find a rabbit with a favorable temperament.

I'm in Colorado. I've looked for breeders for DHs but couldn't find any here.:( I have looked for ones that need rehoming as well and have found one that I'm potentially intrested in. :) I would love to know if there are any breeders in colorado!

I have looked at holland lop, Netherland dwarf, loinhead, and fuzzy lop breeders in colorado. There is definitely enough of those to choose from. :)

I just recently adopted my first rabbit, and I got her from a great shelter. I strongly recommend you at least check your local shelters (they usually have website listings of their rabbits) before you decide where you get your rabbit from. That is, assuming you're not planning to breed or show rabbits in the future.

This is definitely not a knock against breeders, but plenty of purebred rabbits do end up in shelters. You'd be surprised how many rabbits each "cat and dog" shelter has. You'll find a wide selection of breeds and sizes, and also mixed breeds which are perfectly fine. The shelter I adopted from had New Zealands, English Spots, French Lops, Satins, Holland Lops, Netherland Dwarfs, Lionheads and others. My Princess Zelda is a mix, her coat is shaggier than a "normal" shorthaired rabbit. She may have some lionhead in her background. I passed up on a gorgeous bluecream harlequin female because she'd have been too stressed out around my cats and dogs.

Shelters with rabbits tend also to have rabbit-savvy staff who will help you pick out your first rabbit - including recommending a rabbit with the best type of personality for your household. They also offer post adoption support and information. You must make sure to advise anyone you plan to get a rabbit from, of ANY and ALL other pets, and any children, in your home. Not all rabbits can tolerate other animals or children around their cages. It depends on their temperament and background. Some may spook out and can break their own back in a panic.

Another huge plus of adopting from a shelter is they vet-check and neuter/spay all of their stock. You will get a rabbit who's fixed and microchipped for a nominal price. I paid $40 for my rabbit and that's in Canadian dollars. A rabbit spay alone up here is about $200.

Also, if you decide to adopt a second rabbit to bond with your first, they will let you bring in your current rabbit for meet and greets with other rabbits at the shelter to figure out which will get along with your rabbit. In fact they frequently have pre-bonded pairs available for adoption as well.

A note about dogs and rabbits - terriers have a strong prey drive, no matter what size they are. Any breed bred to hunt tends to have a higher prey drive. That said, individuals within a breed have different temperaments, and even dogs that aren't bred to hunt can have a high prey drive. Dogs can be classified in three ways when it comes to rabbits (or cats for that matter):
- rabbit safe
- rabbit trainable
- NOT rabbit safe (and never will be)
I used to own adopted ex-racing Greyhounds; one was "safe" and the other "trainable". I had to spend months training him not to kill my cats (I didn't have a rabbit yet). Now I have a teacup Chihuahua and an Italian Greyhound, both toy breeds. Guess which one needs the "safe" training? My Chi girl is half the size of my rabbit, but for now I have to physically bar her from the rabbit cage, though she's starting to respond to the verbal command "NO RABBIT!" The IG couldn't care less, and doesn't even try to look into the cage, much less sniff.

I'm pretty sure my Yorkies will be trainable. They are very smart and learn quickly. I'm very intrested in adopting a bunny as well, I promise! The closest shelters to me right now don't have what I'm looking for. :( I've seen a lot of bunnies on Craigslist that need rehoming. Would it be a good idea to get one off of Craigslist. Ik there's a lot of scammers so I'll have to be careful. I'm not finished researching and don't have any supplies except NIC grids for the inclosure. I'm in no rush because I want to make sure I have everything and I'm prepared. Thank you for the input :)

You said u had a teacup chihuahua? I know this is not bunny related at all, but there is no such thing. Teacup is not a category in the AKC and backyard breeders and puppymills use it to intise customers into getting their puppies. Usually teacup puppies have a ton of health problems because they are sooo small. Hope this helps you! :) hopefully I don't sound mean. :p

Here is a list of Dwarf Hotot breeders: http://www.adhrc.com/adhrc_web_design_resize_006.htm

There are two listed in Colorado, and maybe there would be someone close in a surrounding state.

As far as purebred rabbits in shelters - I'm sure that happens, but any reputable breeder will offer that you may return your rabbit to them in the event that you cannot care for it anymore. If someone chooses to purchase a rabbit from someone who doesn't make this promise OR intentionally dump a rabbit at a shelter instead, that's out of the breeders' control. I realize the comment above wasn't meant as a blow to breeders, but I just want to clarify that responsible breeding programs have safeguards against rabbits being dumped elsewhere.

Breeding does not equal overpopulation. People electing to place rabbits in shelters rather than manage them responsibly is what puts rabbits there. So although adoption can be a good option if you happen upon the type of animal you're looking for, don't feel bad about investing in reputable breeding programs. That's what helps the number of breeders who are working hard to select for and raise healthy rabbits grow in all areas...including Colorado! :)

Thank you for that link! That will defidently help me! I forgot to mention that I have babysat hamsters for friends. The dogs didn't seem to mind and didn't think much of it. That give me hope that another species like a rabbit might not bother them either. I've also babysat a bunny for my neighbor, but the dogs never got to see it because I just went to their house to feed, let it out of its cage, and interact with it. :)

Latest posts

Back