Hello, I'm Ant and I'm a bad rabbit father :-(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bunny L.O.V.E.S yogurt drops. But I don't think they are very good to wear down the teeth. I would not rely on just the yogurt drops to wear down the teeth :wink

Most treats sold in pet stores for rabbits are not good for them. It is better to feed them pellets, veggies, hay and an occasional treat of fruit. Make sure the veggies and fruit are safe for buns.

@PaGal. I highly disagree with that statement. Sure they need plenty of veggies, pellets, and hay, with the occasional fruit, but I feed my buns treats all the time and there is NO runny stool, or any un-healthy signs!!

Yogies are actually really bad for bunnies - rabbits are lactose intolerant and even if the yogurt drops don't have actual yogurt, they're pretty much pure sugar ><

Almost all commercial "rabbit treats" are really unhealthy - the best treat is very small amounts of fruit or non-leafy green veggies.

The issue with those sorts of treats isn't one that's liable to be apparent in the short term, by the way - it's more likely to cause diabetes down the road than anything unless the rabbit is super sensitive to sugars.

Yogies are actually really bad for bunnies - rabbits are lactose intolerant and even if the yogurt drops don't have actual yogurt, they're pretty much pure sugar ><

Almost all commercial "rabbit treats" are really unhealthy - the best treat is very small amounts of fruit or non-leafy green veggies.

The issue with those sorts of treats isn't one that's liable to be apparent in the short term, by the way - it's more likely to cause diabetes down the road than anything unless the rabbit is super sensitive to sugars.

You know, I was thinking about this post when I got my lab results back from my every three month blood work I have to get done for Cholesterol. For the past three months I have been eating bunny food :bunny19- NO, not the yogurt drops (but my buns and DOGS, yep they have them for dogs) love them it's like crack for them... I've been juicing or drinking Organic Kale juice with Organic Apple, Lemon and Ginger and have cut out mostly all meat, etc to try to see if I could get off my medicine. I've had NO SUGAR nothing. :no:

No sodas, no diet sodas.. I've been doing the Joe Cross/Reboot/ etc Juice Diet, and do you know that my sugar came back BORDER LINE according to the lab for diabetes??? I called the doctors office because I have lost like 40 pounds in the past three months doing this and asked how the heck I was on the borderline for diabetes when I've had no sugar no candy NOTHING. They told me to ignore the lab results, my number was right on the line so the lab decided to mark it abnormal .. <5.7 is the number and I had that...

I know I know, where does the bunnies come in on this post?:brown-bunny

I wonder if the lab whenever they would do blood test for bunnies do the same? Mark the numbers UP so you would be 'pre diabetic' instead of no risk??? Since the lab did that with me..?

Just a thought... :bunny19

Ya they would be pointless for Wearing down teeth and ya probably very sugary, I limit him now especially since he just went thru being sick

I'm not sure how to make my own post but I caught my bunny eating my cats food last night! It can't be good for him right!? I try to keep him out of the kitchen but he sneeks in there. I thought about getting a baby gate, but I don't want him to even try to jump over it, I herd their ribs can break easily if they jump from something high up

My bunnies ate the cat food too. The only thing you can do is find a way to make the cat food accessible to cats but not bunnies, be it a gate, a "cat condo" type thing the bunny can't scale, feeding the cats in a room the bunny doesn't have access to, whatever ><

Chances are if the rabbit "treats" come from your run-of-the-mill pet store or heaven forbid - Walmart, they're no good for bunbuns. Play it safe and get your stuff from either a supplier or an online shop specializing in exotic pets. Rabbits have ZERO need for mineral blocks, and anything with seeds or made with even the slightest bit of dairy is guaranteed to do more harm than good. Oxbow has by far the best food, hay and treat options on the market.

Chances are if the rabbit "treats" come from your run-of-the-mill pet store or heaven forbid - Walmart, they're no good for bunbuns. Play it safe and get your stuff from either a supplier or an online shop specializing in exotic pets. Rabbits have ZERO need for mineral blocks, and anything with seeds or made with even the slightest bit of dairy is guaranteed to do more harm than good. Oxbow has by far the best food, hay and treat options on the market.

I get the bulk food at my local pet store and it has sunflower seeds and a few pumpkin seeds in it which I pick out so he doesn't eat them. But it has other little tannish white seeds mixed in it, so those probably are not good either?

To be honest I'd stay away from any food/treats containing seeds as rabbits don't digest them. I play it safe and stick with oxbow. It is a little more costly though, however when it comes to my buns' overall health that's what matters to me. :) Also stick to Timothy hay, as Alfalfa is way too rich in calcium for adult buns. (I'm sure you already knew that but I'd rather share what I know just in case).

I'm not sure how to make my own post but I caught my bunny eating my cats food last night! It can't be good for him right!? I try to keep him out of the kitchen but he sneeks in there. I thought about getting a baby gate, but I don't want him to even try to jump over it, I herd their ribs can break easily if they jump from something high up

I've got more baby gates up then Carter has pills. None of my buns have been able to jump over the baby gates. NOW that being said, if you put their crates near the baby gate they can MacGyver with that crate top and do a Lady and be a ninja bunny and hop over it.. I mean, I've got 4 bunnies and not one including Brooke who is 11 pounds now and BIG can jump over the baby gate... trust me, she's tried, and then tried to knock it over..

I've gotta watch out for Brooke. She's got some brains. I saw her last night trying to open the door on her Xpen and I *SWEAR* last night I heard her hopping around on the porch past her area but thought it was
all the pain killers I was on...

Vanessa

My rabbit broke a tooth and her teeth started going sideways, my vet told me to cut way back on pellets and feed way more hay saying that chewing hay actually grinds the teeth down too. Don't feel too bad because I don't think its your fault- your rabbit probably has a malocclusion and that's genetic- or he maybe broke his tooth like mine did and they grew back crooked.

Vanessa, all of mine can open the gate to their xpen unless I zip tie it shut. I found this out when I didn't tie it and came home to bunnies lounging in the living room, luckily no damage. They teach each other. Realised all they needed to do was get their nose through the bars and lift it up :)

I'd give more natural treats like carrots and fruits ( you can find a list online) but yogurt drops will not wear down teeth instead try giving hay and apple/berry twigs to chew on.

Latest posts

Back