Hello again and please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

Reaction score
Hi everyone

For reasons too long to go into right now I haven't been able to postfor the last couple of months though when I can I've been paying flyingvisits here to keep up with what's been going on. Don't know how I'dhave survived without all you wonderful people in the background of mylife. I've cried over some posts and laughed over others and am glad tobe able to bewriting something here again, although myquestion today is worrying me sick.

As some of you may remember I have five house rabbits, all young ones,and they finally reached the age (six and a half months now) wherethey're old enough to be neutered so that I can start bonding the boyswith the girls again. Day before yesterday the two boys, Tarragon andBunberry, were 'done'. I couldn't sleep muchthe night beforeworrying how it'd go for Bunberry who is a very shy rabbit and hatesanything out of the ordinary. Well Bunberry was fine, within minutes ofbeing home he was bounding around, eating and drinking and really oddlybeing much more sociable than before. But Tarragon just stayed in acorner and shivered for ages. When he got livelier I hoped he'd starteating, but despite the tastiest treats I can offer a rabbit he's hadno more than a few bites here and there for about 36 hours now. He'sback to being very lively and friendly but I'm sure he's not gettingenough food - though he's probably acting like this to pay me back forwhat's been done to him :(. Should I be panicking or is it normal after'the op' for some rabbits to eat less for a couple of days?

The two sisters, Harebell and Selkie, go in to be spayed tomorrow, andFlopsy middle of next week. I thought when I booked them inthatit would be better to get them all done at roughly thesame time with enough of a gap to give them all full attention untilthey were properly recovered from the anaesthetic, but now I don't knowwhether to cancel tomorrow. Any ideas about what to do for Tarragonwill be very gratefully received as I'm so worried, I love that littlerabbit bad boy that he is.

Thanks

Kate

If you have any concerns, take him to the vetimmediately. Especially if he's not eating. You sayhe's back to normal with his running round and stuff, which is always agood sign, but maybe it's better to be safe than sorry.

I don't know if this is normal behaviour after the op I'm afraid, noneof ours have been done. What's his temperature like, and ishe drinking much?

I hope he's okay!

Ang xx

I agree with Ang that it would be a good idea toconsult the vet. I use Nutri Cal for rabbits that are offtheir feed -- it has really helped them bounce back quickly fromsurgery.

Pam

Thanks, I'm seeing the vet tomorrow morning. He'sstarted drinking a lot more - nearly back to normal - and he's eatinghis food with a bit more enthusiasm, not his usual amount, but at leastI can tell some's gone. He seems as lively as ever and is flopping in avery relaxed way when he's not running around so I'm hoping that bytomorrow he'll be eating as usual. I feel a bit less panicked now. Iwould give him nutrical if I knew where to find some. Does anyone knowwhere I'd get that in the UK or if it's under a different name overhere?

Your vet should be able to recommend a highcalorie supplement to give your rabbit. It's a good idea tokeep it on hand in case of emergency. Critical Care is aherbivore supplement. Nutri Cal is for dogs & cats,but works well for rabbits. There are some UK companies thatcarry it, but you can also use UK products such as NurishM for cats orFerretvite for ferrets.

Pam

THey can getted chilled after surgery.If your bun appears to be chilly like he seemed to be, warmthem up. We often put a dry towel in the dryershortly before the bun is done with surgery and wrap then in it whenthey come out. It is possible he got a bit chilly,which slowed down him being interesed in eating, and would explain himshaking and shivering. there are other possibilities. best ofluck with your buns and their surgeries

My first doe would not eat when she got spayed.The vet had noticed she acted funny after the surgery and told me towatch for the next day. She did not eat or drink and I had to take herback to the vet. They gave her IV fluids. On the way back home shelivened up and started eating when she got home.

Ed

Dear Rowan,

You're in good hands with the advice given.
I have nothing else to add other than to say that I'm thinking of you and will pray for your little one.

Do keep us posted, please.

-Carolyn

I'm very glad to say that by this morningTarragon was eating and drinking as normal. As you can imagine I'm SOrelieved and happy to find his food gone and poops everywhere :D:D:D.

I think he probably was chilled after the anaesthetic, I did wrap himin a warm towel after he got home while he was shaking and for a whilehe disappeared right under it, but then he wouldn't go near it. I thinkhe might have had that reaction because he's the smallest and thinnestof the four siblings. All that energy used up from him racing round allthe time. Anyway I'm just so glad he's fine now and I shall have lotsof warm things ready for the two girls when they come home later today,I'm just about to take them now. Flopsy goes in next week but she's amuch bigger rabbit so I'm just hoping everything goes nice and easilywith all the girls.

Thanks very much for your help everyone, I really appreciated the helpand comments (and prayers for him)when I was feeling soworried, it made a big difference.

It's good to be back :D,

Kate x

I am so glad to hear that, Rowan! Ihave been watching the thread... but didn't offer much cause I knew theothers here would be better help and I didn't want to clutter theinformation.

My rabbit did fine when he was neutered, so I hadn't experienced problems really.

I think with any anesthesia, some people and animals experience those "chills" and just don't feel right.

Give him a smooch for me now that he's feeling better! :)

After reading your post, it is possible that hehad a reaction to the anesthesia. Just enough to put him overhis tolerance threshold. It would take time to wearoff.

Ed

Rowan wrote:
Does anyone know where I'd get that in the UK orif it's under a different name over here?

Hi Rowan, Well it seems your baby is a lot better now, sorry Ididn'tsee the post earlier. Something that my vet gives to mewhen my Furies are off theirfood is 'Science Recovery'. Yougive it to them in a syringe if they aren't eating or drinking and itdehydrates them and gives nutrients. It's like a liquid foodreplacement. It costs about £1.20 for a sachet. It is pretty much asupplement for when they aren't feeding well.Hopefully youwont need it again but I always have some in just in case :D.

Vickie

Rowan wrote:
I'mvery glad to say that by this morning Tarragon was eating and drinkingas normal. As you can imagine I'm SO relieved and happy to find hisfood gone and poops everywhere :D:D:D.
I think he probably was chilled after the anaesthetic, I did wrap himin a warm towel after he got home while he was shaking and for a whilehe disappeared right under it, but then he wouldn't go near it. I thinkhe might have had that reaction because he's the smallest and thinnestof the four siblings. All that energy used up from him racing round allthe time.
It's good to be back :D,
Kate x
I am so glad to hear he is feeling muxh better.

THe smaller skinnier of rabbits and cats tend toget chilled after surgery. There are some larger ones who do as well,and those who are under for a longer periodof time. and whilerabbit are good at tollerating cold temps outside. A chill aftersurgery is not the same. THeir body tempture drops downmaking it hard for them to regain normal temp. It is actuallysomething they can die from. THeir body can slowly shut down reservingenergy and warmth to the most vital organs.

Rowan wrote:
I'mvery glad to say that by this morning Tarragon was eating and drinkingas normal. As you can imagine I'm SO relieved and happy to find hisfood gone and poops everywhere :D:D:D.

GOOOOO Tarragon!!

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back