Height VS Length of a hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
I am getting custom made hutches soon to give my rabbits more space, but i'm torn about which is more important, length or height. Basically i have a shed that i can either get 4 long but short in height hutches in, or i can have them higher, but have one of the hutches split into 2 to accommodate the rabbits i have, so what do you think i should compromise on, length or height? I don't find that my rabbits stand up often, but i don't really want to restrict them being able to do it if they want. Any suggestions?

Rabbits should be able to stand up fully and 'periscope' in their hutch. I would also recommend enough room for them to be able to binky if they so wish.

They are both very important.

As long as your rabbit has enough room to stand fully up on his back legs and stretch upwards, without his ears being folded over by the roof, that should be the bare minimum.

The length of the hutch needs to be big enough that your rabbit can take 4 consecutive hops without bumping his nose at the end, and long enough to lie down fully stretched out comfortably.

The minimum recommended size for a hutch is 5ft x 3ft, but obviously if you have any larger breed rabbits, they would require a larger space.

I suppose if you HAVE to compromise one, then height, because I think length is more important, but obviously there is no point having length if the hutch is too short in height for him to hop happily etc.

What dimensions have you got in mind? That might help a little bit :)

Jen

You don't need it incredibly high. 21" is plenty for a medium size breed. Length is more important. I'd say picture sticking a litter box in there and then picture enough room for twice the length of your rabbit when he is lying down, stretched out. He should be minimally be able hop a few steps and lie down comfortably without stepping on his own wastes/litterbox.

It also depends how much exercise time they'll get. If they are spending 6-12hr a day in a run that's a good size then time spend in a hutch that's not quite so long/tall is less likely to cause health issues.

I'd be more likely to compromise on height. The rabbit needs room to stand up, but for the small breeds I have, even 14-18" is plenty. I'd rather them have more floor space, if I had to worry about one or the other.

Well i was looking at 8ft long, 2 feet deep and then whatever height i can manage to fit in, but i have a 10 foot shed so i've thought that maybe i could have 1 10ft long hutch to split into 2 five foot hutches, i wanted everyone to have 8ft long but i don't ideally want to compromise on height, and the five foot would be for single rabbits, so maybe that will be best, will think some more before my final decision.

Latest posts

Back