Heating Pad Outside?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
Hello! Every year around winter Theo gets cold and I feel so bad for him. I have been experimenting to find different ways for him to warm up, but he is still cold. He has a super thick soft coat so I do think he stays pretty warm, but I think it would be great to get him a heating pad. In his playpen, I have a rug, 2 mats around his litter box, and a memory foam placemat for his food and water dishes. I also have a cardboard box hidey house with 1 towel laying on the bottom and hanging over the sides of the box, another towel stuffed full of hay for padding, his stuffed bear, and a towel with the sides rolled up so it acts as a sung-a-bun. Even with all those towels, I think he is still cold. I was wondering if this heated pet bed would be a good addition to his hidey house? I would put it under the snug-a-bun towel so he doesn't get burned. Do you think it is a bad idea to put the heating pad in a cardboard box? If it would be a safety hazard in the box, I could put it on his IKEA doll bed. I would make sure to wrap the cord in a cord protector to keep him from chewing it and I wouldn't run the heater all day long. I would probably only run it at night since it would automatically turn off after 12 hours. We do not have electricity in the shed, so I would run an outdoor extension cord to it (I feel safe with doing that because when we had ducklings we had a heat lamp in the shed).
Let me know what you think! Also, if you know of any other ideas to keep him warm let me know! I had heard about using heat lamps for chickens that don't produce light, but I'm hesitant with that option???
Thanks!

If you want to do a heating pad I would suggest something that is fairly indestructible and weatherproof. You don't want there to be any chance of it getting chewed through to the wiring. Something like a chew resistant weatherproof heating mat, or there are also reheatable microwavable heating packs for rabbits called snugglesafe, that will stay heated for several hours(how long depends on the outdoor temp). Either one of those options should be relatively safe. The snugglesafe is good but some rabbits aren't comfortable sitting on them. If electric can be safely used where you keep your bun, the chew resistant weatherproof mat might be your best option as it's probably the most comfortable for rabbits to sit on and will heat through the night. (Make sure to follow manufacturer instructions)

small pet heating pad

cat heating mat

snugglesafe

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm just now responding! I have been so busy.

Thanks! I have looked at the snugglesafe, but it is too small and won't stay warm long enough. I had seen the small pet heating pad but it was too small; I hadn't seen the cat heating mat so I will look at that.
Since it is going in the shed, do I have to get one that is weatherproof? The weatherproof ones look so uncomfortable! The heating pad won't get wet because no rain, wind, snow, etc. can get in the shed. Theo never chews his blankets, so if I put a blanket on top of the heating pad I don't think he should chew it.

You need a weatherproof one because it's also chew resistant, and won't be as much of a problem if it gets peed on or water gets spilled. But mostly because it's chew resistant. The other one you linked, didn't look at all chew resistant. But if your bun doesn't ever chew on things and you want to take the risk, your choice. But chewed wires pose electrocution and fire hazards, which I'm sure you know.

The hard heating mat does have a fleece cover, so that will provide a somewhat softer surface. And if he is really looking for a warm spot, I'm not sure he'll care that it's cushy. Rabbits tend to go for hard surfaces anyways.

Something you also need to be aware of when using heating pads, putting additional blankets or pads on top will further insulate the heating pad and cause it to trap the heat in. This could pose a risk depending on the pad used, as this heat can build up. Make sure to read the instructions for which ever pad you get, and don't place additional padding or blankets on top if it warns against doing so.

Thanks for your help! I'm going to be getting the cat heating mat that you linked! And, I won't put a blanket on the mat until I make sure it is safe.

Hello! Every year around winter Theo gets cold and I feel so bad for him. I have been experimenting to find different ways for him to warm up, but he is still cold. He has a super thick soft coat so I do think he stays pretty warm, but I think it would be great to get him a heating pad. In his playpen, I have a rug, 2 mats around his litter box, and a memory foam placemat for his food and water dishes. I also have a cardboard box hidey house with 1 towel laying on the bottom and hanging over the sides of the box, another towel stuffed full of hay for padding, his stuffed bear, and a towel with the sides rolled up so it acts as a sung-a-bun. Even with all those towels, I think he is still cold. I was wondering if this heated pet bed would be a good addition to his hidey house? I would put it under the snug-a-bun towel so he doesn't get burned. Do you think it is a bad idea to put the heating pad in a cardboard box? If it would be a safety hazard in the box, I could put it on his IKEA doll bed. I would make sure to wrap the cord in a cord protector to keep him from chewing it and I wouldn't run the heater all day long. I would probably only run it at night since it would automatically turn off after 12 hours. We do not have electricity in the shed, so I would run an outdoor extension cord to it (I feel safe with doing that because when we had ducklings we had a heat lamp in the shed).
Let me know what you think! Also, if you know of any other ideas to keep him warm let me know! I had heard about using heat lamps for chickens that don't produce light, but I'm hesitant with that option???
Thanks!

I've been using a heat lamp for bullseye and it works just fine. if you use a heat lamp, just make sure Theo has a space he can get away from it in case he gets too hot. I hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back