Healthcare and insurance

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfinner1

Reaction score
So I've been reading up on insurance for my bun, and I don't like it. They don't cover annual visits, or routine procedures, or elective procedures, or a whole bunch of other stuff. I could see where it might be worth it for a cat or dog, but with a rabbit... If a dog breaks his leg, you take him to the vet and have it set. If a rabbit breaks his leg, there's a good chance they will die from shock before you even make it to the vet. At least, that's what I've read. So basically, my question is what do you think of insurance? Do you have it? If you don't, how do you take care of the vet bills? Do you set aside money every month for the "what ifs"? I'd read on another forum that instead of getting insurance, you should find out how much it will cost, and put that amount in a separate bank account every month to be used for vet visits and emergencies. Does this sound like a good idea?

I can't get rabbit insurance in Canada. I could get it for my dogs, but it doesn't really seem worth it. One plan was $100 per dog per month, so that would be $2400 a year. I could take that money and set up an account that will cover anything (as long as there is enough). Both my dogs are healthy and have only see the vet a couple times for non routine things, they are 8.5 and 7.5.
You also need to consider what the vet takes. Some don't accept all insurance and not all insurance companies will let you go to all vets. If you have one vet that you like, maybe ask if they know a good company and ask other vets in the area as well.

I would set aside money on a monthly basis. That way you control it and it can be used for any pet if needed where insurance is just for the 1 pet. You should put away an amount that reflects the number of pets you have. If you just have one, you might not put away as much as someone who has 3 or 4 rabbits, a dog and 2 cats. Make sure you put away what you can afford, but also an amount that will cover you. If you can, start with at least the cost of an exam and build it from there, so for me that would be $80 to start and maybe $20-40 per month.

I agree with the above, just set aside money every month so you can use it where you need. I set aside $50/paycheck($100-150/month) inside a seperate account and that is for emergancies, I can use it where I need it and for ANY of my pets. I prefere to use my amergancy money as an additional thing, I always pay whatever I can my muy regular account, I ONLY use the emergancy money to help, so I pretend my emergancy money doesnt exist.. I think "can I afford this?" and I use whatever I can afford from my main account, and use my emergancy savings to cover the rest, this way I cant deplete my savings should another issue come up before its been replenished.

I agree that it's best just to set money aside yourself.

Disagree with the statement thatmost rabbits that break a leg go into shock. I've seen a number of broken legs in rabbits (some very bad cases), and all those rabbits recovered without complications.

i agree with pam. I actually had a friend who was about to show her chocolate polish. She lifted him to brush him and his leg was dangling. She was traumatized but it didnt even seem to bother the rabbit.

As far as insurance from what you said i probably wouldn't buy insurance. i like to also set aside money for my rabbits to buy, sell, and for vet bills. BUT it does help that i work at the vet clinic i take my rabbits to so discounts are amazing and useful.

I don't think it's a good idea if you are able to save up an emergency fund to cover vet bills, or are making enough money that it's not such a big deal. In this case, you can put the money aside yourself, and if you don't need it, you still have the money. If you pay for insurance and don't need it, you've just lost all of that money (which is what insurance companies are counting on).

If you don't have much and absolutely couldn't cover a couple thousand dollars in vet bills, it can be a good thing to have. Sometimes it's possible to afford a small payment every month, but a huge issue would be impossible to pay for and this is where insurance comes in. Still, even in this case I think it would be better to put that small amount in an emergency account every month.

Personally, my rabbits have only gone to the vet for routine check ups except for one time - Hannah had teeth problems. I had only had her for a week so insurance wouldn't have covered her yet anyway (and wouldn't have covered teeth problems again after that). I find it better to put some money aside and just pay for it out of pocket.

Latest posts

Back