Heading to the vet w/ pregnant doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I'm probably taking this worse than Rachelis....but she's on day 35 of her pregnancy and I can't risk her goinginto distress over the weekend - so I'm on my way out the door to thelocal vet.

They aren't real rabbit-savy and have called the vet 60 miles away to get recommendations on how much oxytocin to give her.

I'm glad my son is home - he is going to drive because I'm falling apart over this.

I realize that there is a very good chance the litter is lost - thelast time I had to use oxytocin - I lost the mama too (but there wereother complications - not just late delivery).

Like all of my rabbits, Rachel is very very dear to me....

Oh well - I'm going to go cry and get her box put together...

Peg

Well.......after spending a bunch of money ontwo xrays (they couldn't feel babies and didn't want to give heroxytocin without knowing for sure that she was pregnant...) wediscovered that..

She isn't pregnant!

It makes me want to kick Art for being right. I saw the buck falloff (grunting) and I saw them breed three times. Her body has changedshape in the last 35 days...she's gone from slender to feeling EXACTLYlike a pregnant doe.

She didn't do a nest or pull hair partway through and I thought I had felt babies the other day.

But...no pregnancy and no babies right now.

I think I'm going to go cry. I had a waiting list for this litter....

Anyway, I am relieved to know that she is ok.

The good thing is - they'd never seen lionheads before and they werefascinated by her and how well she behaved for them. The only thingwas...she kept trying to get away from them during the Xrays...butother than that - she was very good.

Peg

Hi Peg,

Good to know that Rachel is alright. :D It must be a bit of a pain thatthere are no babies, and that you spent all that money for nothing, butat least the doe is alright, so maybe you can try again. It's a bit oddthat she changed shape when she wasn't pregnant ... Maybe she's beenstealing food from somewhere :dunno or something like that ...

Rachel.

Glad to hear she's okay. I cannot imagine looking forward to babies and not getting them. ;-; But alas, I am glad she's okay ^^

Hi Peg,

I just read your thread and am so glad to hear that your bunny is okay.As for the pregnancy (or lack thereof) I'm wondering if it's possibleshe was pregnant, but resorbed the babies? I had that happen with a doeonce many many years ago...she was definitely carrying babies...I hadpalpated and felt them...but as the birth date came closer, the doebegan to slim out, and I could no longer feel any kits.

Rabbits can sometimes resorb the young - a very strange phenomenon,that I think is a form of protection from predators. Do you think thatmight have happened with your doe?

Latest posts

Back