Head tilting! Help please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixelFrenzy

Reaction score
I noticed that my young bunny ( 4-5 weeks old) has been eating strangely. While eating pellets (only pellets, doesn’t seem to be happening while eating hay) she tilts her head up and to the right while chewing. Is this normal in baby bunnies or does she have tooth problem already or neurological problems? If so, I fear she is far too young for any medical intervention.
She’s still getting used to me so I haven’t been able to check her mouth yet.

I noticed that my young bunny ( 4-5 weeks old) has been eating strangely. While eating pellets (only pellets, doesn’t seem to be happening while eating hay) she tilts her head up and to the right while chewing. Is this normal in baby bunnies or does she have tooth problem already or neurological problems? If so, I fear she is far too young for any medical intervention.
She’s still getting used to me so I haven’t been able to check her mouth yet.
Call your vet as soon as possible and take her in to see them, it is possible that whilst with the mother the kit contracted some sort of a neurological parasite or came in contact with an infected bun, these are just possibilities, don't get too stressed, hope your bun is fine now <3

If it's only while she's chewing then something to do with her mouth would seem the most likely cause. It could be a dental issue, though it wouldn't seem likely at such a young age. Or it could simply be a piece of food stuck in her teeth or maybe a sore in her mouth. Ear pain from an ear infection could be a slight possibility, but I think you would be seeing more frequent signs of head tilt when not eating if this was the cause. Only way to know what's causing this would be having an experienced rabbit vet check it out.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Latest posts

Back