Head Tilt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equipix

Reaction score
I know this is a common thread :( My almost 7 yr old giant flemish's head tilt started much the same as everyone's stories on here. I got him to an emergency vet the day he showed symptoms. She ran lots of blood work and began treatment right away with antibiotics for ear infection, e-coniculi and a case of mites (which none of my other rabbits have and they don't go outside). Fortunately, the e-coniculi test came back negative so he has another 2 weeks of antibiotics on top of the first week. He's still flopping and his head is really tilted. I've seen him eat kale and some hay, but not pellets. I've also seen him drinking. This morning he's really floppy and rolling across the floor. After about 20 minutes of a variety of resting and rolling, he is sitting up but his head is way to the side. Questions I have are, is he in pain with this condition? I hate to see him suffer for another 2 weeks or more if he's in horrible pain. Realistically, what can I expect long term after treatment? And, is there any thing I can do to make him more comfortable?

I know this is a common thread :( My almost 7 yr old giant flemish's head tilt started much the same as everyone's stories on here. I got him to an emergency vet the day he showed symptoms. She ran lots of blood work and began treatment right away with antibiotics for ear infection, e-coniculi and a case of mites (which none of my other rabbits have and they don't go outside). Fortunately, the e-coniculi test came back negative so he has another 2 weeks of antibiotics on top of the first week. He's still flopping and his head is really tilted. I've seen him eat kale and some hay, but not pellets. I've also seen him drinking. This morning he's really floppy and rolling across the floor. After about 20 minutes of a variety of resting and rolling, he is sitting up but his head is way to the side. Questions I have are, is he in pain with this condition? I hate to see him suffer for another 2 weeks or more if he's in horrible pain. Realistically, what can I expect long term after treatment? And, is there any thing I can do to make him more comfortable?[/QUOTe

I know this is a common thread :( My almost 7 yr old giant flemish's head tilt started much the same as everyone's stories on here. I got him to an emergency vet the day he showed symptoms. She ran lots of blood work and began treatment right away with antibiotics for ear infection, e-coniculi and a case of mites (which none of my other rabbits have and they don't go outside). Fortunately, the e-coniculi test came back negative so he has another 2 weeks of antibiotics on top of the first week. He's still flopping and his head is really tilted. I've seen him eat kale and some hay, but not pellets. I've also seen him drinking. This morning he's really floppy and rolling across the floor. After about 20 minutes of a variety of resting and rolling, he is sitting up but his head is way to the side. Questions I have are, is he in pain with this condition? I hate to see him suffer for another 2 weeks or more if he's in horrible pain. Realistically, what can I expect long term after treatment? And, is there any thing I can do to make him more comfortable?
My little Thumper is still under doctors care with ear infection. Its been a month. His head was tilted I took him immediately to the vet he give him a shot Medicine by mouth and ear I do everyday he quit tilting his head the next day but his Infected ear is still dropped like it's broken. Hes a Dutch his ears are suppose to be up. Each time I took him to the vet for a recheck he dug out white stuff infection that was coming out of Inter ear. This was shocking to me because he showed NO sign of a problem that morning eating pellets etc an that afternoon head was tilted an not eating . I know this doesn't help answer your question but letting you know you are not alone......

669BF211-E19C-4089-8BA9-FB5C73EB908D.jpeg
In loving memory of Mr.Coco 2006-2016

Are they free range indoors or caged? If they are caged then roll up bathroom towels and cover the edges/corners of his enclosure. remove sharp or metal objects and lower any food bowls and water bottles/bowls to a height easily accessible for your bunny. My previous bunny was a dwarf rabbit that developed head tilt, he lived two years after his initial diagnosis. Give your bunny lots of love. They will now require special attention and assistance. I’ve found Colloidal Silver to be very helpful and I think it helped prolong his life and kept him in best condition.

We eventually had to put him down since he developed other conditions and I personally could tell it was time, he lived for 10 years but didn’t get head tilt until he was 8 years old. He went peacefully but it was one of the most awful things I’ve had to do. The vet said he was one of the best looking rabbits they had seen that had been affected by head tilt and were almost not willing to put him to sleep.

Ask your Vet for critical care that was helpful too and our bunny loved it! The was also this website specifically for bunnies with special needs/ disabilities and how to care for them properly that I found helpful that I can post.

What type of set up does your bunny currently have? Also what is their current behavior since they developed head tilt?

Sorry for the delay in responding. I joined a wonderful group on FB for head tilters...so if anyone else needs, it is available for additional information. My rabbits are all indoor. I removed him from the other rabbits and put him in a storage bin with rolled up towels, a frozen water bottle for licking, his hay and wet greens. He was getting critical care, but fights it terribly. He's on antibiotics 2x/day (in his second week). He's on his side, but is trying to get up. I'm happy that he's willing to eat. I'd like to find a way to get him to eat soaked pellets, but he can't stand yet. The stinker keeps biting the water bottle and getting everything wet! I'm hopeful that he comes around. His behaviour isn't bad, he's just really frustrated.

He's on his side, but is trying to get up. I'm happy that he's willing to eat. I'd like to find a way to get him to eat soaked pellets, but he can't stand yet. The stinker keeps biting the water bottle and getting everything wet! I'm hopeful that he comes around. His behaviour isn't bad, he's just really frustrated.

When I took care of sick foster rabbits that would not eat their Critical Care, I would buy Magic Rejuvenator from (Barbibrownsbunnies.com). It is their version of Critical Care. It is a powder that comes in different flavors. I don't remember which flavors I bought. I would mix the powder with a little water, until I could roll it into little balls. Then I would roll the balls in the powder to keep them from sticking together. Then I would feed them to my sick rabbits. I can't say that all of my rabbits ate them, but it worked in most cases. To find Magic Rejuvenator on the site, click on "feed," then go to "nutritional supplements".

When I took care of sick foster rabbits that would not eat their Critical Care, I would buy Magic Rejuvenator from (Barbibrownsbunnies.com). It is their version of Critical Care. It is a powder that comes in different flavors. I don't remember which flavors I bought. I would mix the powder with a little water, until I could roll it into little balls. Then I would roll the balls in the powder to keep them from sticking together. Then I would feed them to my sick rabbits. I can't say that all of my rabbits ate them, but it worked in most cases. To find Magic Rejuvenator on the site, click on "feed," then go to "nutritional supplements".

Latest posts

Back