Head tilt, rolling... parasite???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, its already been a week & three days. =/
yeah, im going to consider taking her to a different vet to see what they say.

I've nursed three rabbits through head tilt, 2 with serious head tilt. Even if the rabbit tests positive for EC it does not mean that the neurological symptoms are necessarily caused by EC. In my personal experience, head tilt is often caused by a middle/inner ear infection. These infections can be difficult to get rid of - they may require that the rabbit be on antibiotics up to 8 weeks. Some vets prescribe Zithromax for inner/middle ear infections. My vet treated for both EC and bacterial infection in my rabbits with head tilt.

The good news is that rabbits can be successfully nursed through head tilt. One of mine recovered completely, and although the other two had permanent head tilt due to damage to the inner ear from the bacterial inner ear infection, they are healthy and happy rabbits despite the head tilt and adjusted quite well to living with a tilted head.

I agree, new vet. This one is taking way too long.
Probably should call in and ask if they have results yet just in case...

Blood test and ear swab are in order...

Good luck! I left a list of vets back on the first page... hopefully that may be helpful.
Please let us know what the new vet says :)

Thinking of you both...

uhhuh, I know. They seem to take a.l.a.p. [As LONNG As Possible]

I was getting quite ancy with my bunny and before we even got the results back she had to be put down. It kinda felt like a waste of money. When I took her to be put down I asked for her to call once the got the results in still but it was pretty sad.

She's supposed to call tomorrow, then im going to call another vet & make an appointment to take her there I just can't decide which vet.

So I got the phone call, & she does have e. Culnicili, & they said its moderate severe & the lady at the desk told me that on a scale from 1-100 its about an 80. So she wants me to take her back in & see if we can up the dosage.

To get a clear reading on EC my understanding is you have to do several titter test over time to confirm. Also with EC you will see other signs before tilt. EC is not something you can get rid of as far as I understand. It is just something you manage.

She gave her the same medicine she had & another medicine just incase she does have an ear infection. Idr the name of hand.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
Here's an article I found helpful with my head tilt bunny-I gave a copy to our vet as well.

http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/ecuniculi.htm
I would never follow this. I don't agree with a LOT of what that says. I would also be concerned with a vet that follows that. :expressionless

Some have some while better do have a tilt still. Some bunnies bounce back some don't. Each bunny is different more so because the cause can be different but also because of the bunnys will.

Ringo's Story - My bunny Ringos story, very long thread.

Gabriel's Story - My Bunny Gabriel story, not as long and not as bad as Ringos.

Special-Needs Rabbits: Working with Headtilt - My story about all of this in a condensed version.

JadeIcing wrote:
Bunnylova4eva wrote:
Here's an article I found helpful with my head tilt bunny-I gave a copy to our vet as well.

http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/ecuniculi.htm
I would never follow this. I don't agree with a LOT of what that says. I would also be concerned with a vet that follows that. :expressionless

Some have some while better do have a tilt still. Some bunnies bounce back some don't. Each bunny is different more so because the cause can be different but also because of the bunnys will.

Ringo's Story - My bunny Ringos story, very long thread.

Gabriel's Story - My Bunny Gabriel story, not as long and not as bad as Ringos.

Special-Needs Rabbits: Working with Headtilt - My story about all of this in a condensed version.

o I'm sorry I should have clarified-Our vet didn't agree with alot of it. I don't know how much of it I agree with. But what really helped me was the things she said in the article about caring for a head tilt bunny etc. and information about it-history of the illness. You know more than I do on EC-I'm sure some of that isn't accurate. That's pretty much what ourvet said. Especially the info about *treating* EC., she didn'tagree with the mothod. By the time my rabbit wasthat sick, we were annoyedthat nothing they did was getting my rabbit anywhere but worse and we just wanted them to try something.

As for weather my head tilt bunny got better, very sadly No. And I didn't use the method in the article either if you're wondering. She used Tresaderm for the ear infection for several weeks. Then nothing, then Baytril, then SMZ-TMP then nothing (when she was almost better! +P) then she got worse and they stuck her back on baytril. She got so sick and we eventually had to put her to sleep. It was the most miserable 6 months ever.

Definitely get another opinion. The vet used at the time Simon had his symptoms encouraged it. I went to the university of Penn.
I would get another titer in a couple weeks. Also check the kidneys. Not sure what scale the vet uses but it doesn't sound right. I remember the highest reading Simon had was over 8. He was in the late stages. I guess it depends on the lab.

It wasn't the vet who said she was about an 80, she said she was at moderate severe, the lady that answered the phone told me she was about an 80, but I was confessed at how bad it was.

Sounds to me like your rabbit has Wry-neck. Hope she gets better. Its usualy from an ear infection and can take a loooong time to get better...but as long as she is eating and drinking dont give up !!! Sometimes baytril doesnt cut it tho....if not maybe ask your vet about cipro.

Wry neck is the same as head tilt. It names a symptom of an illness. It could easily be caused my either EC or Ear infection. I do agree that Baytril isn't always enough to cut it. However if your bunny has EC I'd think the Panacur is the right thing.

Latest posts

Back