Head tilt, rolling... parasite???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the panaculr or however you spell it that's what ive been giving her. Aside from her head tilted & her rolling she completely normal she still runs around & eats EVERYTHING. She looked in her ears & said one a little redder than the first time I took het, but it wasn't anything she was too worried about. When she calls with the blood tests ill ask her. & that's why im so worried she's my first bunny & im scared I may have done something wrong.

I hope that your bunny gets better soon. I haven't dealt with head tilt but I understand how scary this is. My vet thought that Prince had EC so he took blood tests and it came back negative.

Please keep us all updated on your bunny. I hope things get better for you and your bunny.

I think you had better call the office and make another appointment, as you will need one to make the change in treatment, rather than waiting for them to call you... the blood test may take longer than expected, and this has already been going on since the 27th, right?

I know it seems pushy, but I would be calling them asking for updates on the blood test. This kind of situation can't wait.

From what JadeIcing and SnowyShiloh are saying, your bunny needs to be looked at for ear infection ASAP, and start antibiotics (if she DOES have an ear infection).

The longer it takes to diagnose and start the treatment, the harder it will be to cure :(.

Can you make an appointment for tomorrow or the day after, to check more closely for ear infection?

JadeIcing wrote:
The ear infections can sometimes be so deep that you can't see it.

Yeah that. ^

My bunny had an ear infection, but once it progressed into head tilt, then they started trying to tell me she had parasite, after having swabbed her ear and finding infection. We did all the bloodwork, but didn't get it back tillwe had herput down because she'd been so misserable for so long and getting worse. Guess what the bloodwork said? No parasites. She'd had a deep ear infection, but they wouldn't treat it until we did the bloodwork-they wanted to treat for parasites. So yeah. I'd be sure, maybe insist on having the ear swabbed for infection (that's what I'd do). If it looked a little red, then there's a good chance she's been scratching it, meaning its bothing her. I suppose it could be EC but if you don't see improvement don't just assume it to be then.

I let her run around just now & she popped on the floor, but it wasn't normal, its was like three shiny squishy together, & she did it twice.

do they smell especially terrible?

I'm guessing its cecals-droppings that rabbits usually eat. It might have something to do with the Panacur you're giving (that's the one right?) Bunnies have a very sensitive tummy and stuff can throw it off right away. Any other diet changes, treats etc recently?

Idk I didn't smell them.
No she's eating hay & pellets & everyday I give her a treat. Same as before.

Usually cecals smell really strong-you wouldn't need to intentionally smell them (I wouldn't!) Maybe bunny is just having some digestional problems due to the meds. Keep a close eye on her.

I called the vet yesterday & they called the lab that does the blood work & they said it could take up to 14 days to find out the results. =/

& a question about clipping her nails. Where should I stop? I barely trimmed her nails the other day but they're long I just don't want to cut too short.

allydp wrote:
& a question about clipping her nails. Where should I stop? I barely trimmed her nails the other day but they're long I just don't want to cut too short.

Inside the nail is the quick a blood vessel and you may or may not be able to see depending on the nail. My kids all have dark nails so I only just clip a bit off the top so I don't hit quick. I heard you can shine a light on the nail you can see the quick.

I called them & they called the lab & the lab said it can take up to 14 days to get the results back, & I was thinking of taking her to another place & have them look for an ear infection.
Yeah, I trimmed the tips, because I was scared to hurt her.

The good news is usually the blood work doesn't take quite as long as they say it can. At least with mine I tested for E. Cuniculi, Pasturella and did a full blood panel and it took 6 days even though they said it'd be longer.

Yes, I'd recomend having them check for infection-for them to swab Jelly's ear I think it was only about $40.00 - so worth it. (Unless the infection is only really deep down in which case swabbing won't tell much)

Latest posts

Back