Head on floor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bvescobar

Reaction score
Ive read before online that rabbits putting their head towards the floor is an indication of pain.. my rabbit has been doing this for a couple of months but in the position I have in the picture. Is this normal relaxed behavior or should I be concerned? Sorry for sounding crazily over protective, he’s my son haha.

Attachments

• CECDF5AD-D043-4318-8DC0-6557ED0AF857.jpeg
    CECDF5AD-D043-4318-8DC0-6557ED0AF857.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 18
I wouldn't worry about him being in pain if the only possible sign is what he's doing in the picture... That's one very happy, relaxed bunny... He's very comfortable with you to sleep in such a way with you close by! Some of mine sleep in a similar way, enjoy the cuteness. Here are some of my buns sleeping in the same way!

Attachments

• IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG
    379.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 10
I wouldn't worry about him being in pain if the only possible sign is what he's doing in the picture... That's one very happy, relaxed bunny... He's very comfortable with you to sleep in such a way with you close by! Some of mine sleep in a similar way, enjoy the cuteness. Here are some of my buns sleeping in the same way!
Oh thank goodness! Your buns are so cute! After a stomach issue he had a month ago I’ve been so cautious of his resting positions. Thank you for the reassurance :)

Yep, totally happy relaxed bun.

Putting the head down isn't really an indicator of pain. Usually when a rabbit is flopped down like that with the head down, it's relaxed. If it's laying like that and breathing heavily and rapidly, may be damp around the nose, and ears hot and flared, the rabbit is overheating. If a rabbit is sitting up with it's head down, say shoving it under your hand or laying it down while next to you, it may be requesting to get head rubs. If a rabbit has it's head and body pancaked to the ground with eyes wide, it's scared. So it's all about interpreting body language, posture, and other signs, to determine what it's body position means.

Signs of pain are usually being hunched up and not wanting to move much(different than when they are sitting sleeping), laying down and getting back up repeatedly shifting position, belly pressing(not usually with the head down) accompanied with other signs of pain, loud tooth grinding, squinting eyes, trembling, hanging head or paws in water dish, lethargy, lack of appetite. You are basically looking for behavior that is out of the ordinary for your bun.

You got one relaxed bun bun!

Mine does it all the time.

Attachments

• 816A1E93-9233-437F-9DA8-B578E35FC302.jpeg
    816A1E93-9233-437F-9DA8-B578E35FC302.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 9100CC48-0F30-473E-ACC5-DC66960AFB52.jpeg
    9100CC48-0F30-473E-ACC5-DC66960AFB52.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back