He only likes lettuce, his kibbel and carrot treats, need help.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratsorizzo

Reaction score
He only likes the above. And with the kibble he always eats the minty big pieces and leaves the normal pieces like kids do with Marshmallow s in cereal. :/
What can I try? He doesn't like things like real carrots amount other things I would have thought.

Are you using a kibble that has various colorful bits in it? That is just bunny junk food if that is what you are feeding. No wonder he's being picky. As you said, it's like a kid choosing to eat all the sweet stuff instead of what is healthy.

You could transition your bunny to healthy pellets (should be plain). Are you in the US or UK? I can attach a link that shows what brands of pellets are healthy (availability varies per country) depending on where you are.

Does he get hay?

Until you choose a healthier pellet brand, I'd highly suggest that in the meantime, you pick out all the colorful bits from the current kibble so that his only choice is the plain pellets.

Be sure to offer unlimited grass hay as well.

He loves his hay, I places some on the side of his box and he chews it all day, also helps keep the box fresh. And yeah the kibble comes with these green minty kinds of things like this:
conejin.jpg

I can't seem to get the picture of the kibble to show up. But I think you know what I mean. This is what the stuff sorta looks like though it's almost halfmoon shaped and is minty.

I can't seem to get the picture of the kibble to show up. But I think you know what I mean. This is what the stuff sorta looks like though it's almost halfmoon shaped and is minty.

That's how my doe was before I got her: she was fed muesli-type foodstuffs, and always picked out the sweet bits. I switched her over to regular pellets (the type BE recommended above) immediately, and boy, she turned her nose up at it and gave me a dirty look. It took a long time, but she eventually acclimated.

The kibble stuff is just one part pellets with one part treats, and, of course, they pick out the treats. (Don't we all?)

I'd recommend tossing the junk food and buying regular, healthier pellets. He won't like it at first, but he'll learn.

Regarding the veggies: has he even tried other stuff, or just sniffed it and then turned to the lettuce? My rabbits wouldn't even try some vegetables when first offered, but over time, after they tried them, actually liked them more than the normal veggies they ate.

So after weaning him into kibble without the minty treats in the bag, he'll be a little pisser but he'll then open his mind to things besides his treat fake carrots and lettuce?

Eating hay all day is fantastic. The photo you show actually looks like normal, plain pellets. Any food that has other stuff added in, (sometimes called "gourmet mix" or "muesli") is the junk type of food. Click here to see which types are healthy.

Weaning him off of the junk food and onto the healthy pellets will take consistency on your part. He'll be fine even if he refuses to eat the pellets for awhile since he is a good hay eater (which is most important).

Once he's transitioned to the good pellets, they should also be limited (assuming bunny is over 6 months of age). The link given provides the daily amount a rabbit should receive based on body weight. Over-feeding the healthy pellets can also prevent bunny from eating other greens.

So, yes. Once he's started eating healthy pellets in the recommended limited amounts, then he should be more open to trying other greens.

Can someone help me and fix this error?
LTWwhAq

Last edited:
He is acting upset at me for me taking the treat filled stuff away. Though that could still just be be when I run the shop-vac in his cage. But he's eating lettuce again and he must be eating the kibble. (I had took out the treat pieces, YES it took me awhile).

Latest posts

Back