He hates Hardwood floors!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brynyolf

Reaction score
So I've had Brynyolf (netherland dwarf) for a couple of months. He shows all the signs of a happy binky floppy bunny.
When we first got him and I place him on our knock-off slide together hardwood floors he was absolutely mortified. he hated it and wood sit on my food until I picked him up. I grabbed a giant red fleece blanket (10'x10') and that became his home outside the cage. but even months later unless there is a treat involved he won't even chance it.
my question is, will he ever get over this?
at this point I'm not concerned because the blanket is large enough for him to run, the blanket fits comfortably in every room and I don't have to worry to much about my cords (not that there are many).

Rabbits have no traction on smooth floors like that. I dont blame him for being scared. Look into getting an area rug for the floor so he has traction.
Blankets are to easily moved especially when the rabbit is binkying.

With some of ours the flooring didn't matter while with some, we had to put down throw rugs as they wouldn't go on the tile or hardwood. Commander Bun-Bun took about a year before she'd go on the til or hardwood while Nik-Nik loved to hang out behind the toilet in the bathroom on travertine tile. I preferred rugs over blanket as the bunny gets better traction.

Yes, agree with both above. Get a rug for better traction. Fleece can slide about especially when bunny tries to playfully dart in one direction then another.

My current bun is in the same situation. I had to place two doormat size rugs to bridge the hardwood floor between his cage and the larger area rug.

It definitely depends on the rabbits but mine are among those that do not like slippery floors. Some folks have built rug runner pathways throughout their home for the buns to navigate, but personally I like that I can contain my rabbits with a rug. They will occasionally venture onto the slippery floors but only very carefully. Traction is definitely needed for any sort of binkies.

Spike is almost ten and has NEVER gotten over his aversion to hardwood. Poor guy just slips on it, so I don't blame him. I agree with the rug idea. We have also had success laying out towels for him, but being older he doesn't run or jump as much (mostly just hops along it), so they don't slide out from under him. I'd want more traction (like a rug) if he was running around a lot.

I have one who is terrified of slippery surfaces (just like me and ice!) and one who loves to run on them and slide- like how some people do this on hardwood with socks on. It depends on the bunny, but generally more traction is better for their joints and backs.

Latest posts

Back