Hazel's turn for stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazel-Mom

Reaction score
Well, looks like Hazel has stasis too, like Storm and some of the others. It sure seems to be the season for it.

This is only her first time ever, she's had slow-down 2 times before, but she pulled out of those in less than a day. Now it's been more than that, so.... she'll be off to the vet today, as soon as I can get her in.

She's had a lot to drink luckily yesterday, she'll drink if I hold a spoonfull up to her nose.
She also ate some of a "greens and pellet" smoothie I made her.
But she's still not eating or drinking on her own, and she started "gnashing her teeth".

So off to the vet it is. We're hoping "her" vet is in today, wish us luck :)

OH NO! Poor baby girl! Isn't it strange how quickly it can come on? it freaked me out with Bo... No poops overnight and I was freaking! I hate it! I would say that had I not done something immediately, he would have been in full stasis within hours.

Anyhow, I sure hope things go well and her vet is in .... let us know as soon as you can!

Luckily we had some poops tonight, but they were really tiny. Tinyer than her regular small poops even. But, she refuses to drink now :(. I'm going to have to get some fluids syringed into her.

Oh dear. Pumpkin, pineapple juice, pedialyte! I hope the vet goes well. Definitely sounds like she's in pain. :(
Good luck!

I gave Bo anything he would eat! but I tried to make it moist and good for him. I hope Hazel is ok...

Back from the vet, and all is well :)

She was in pretty good condition, not too dehydrated (I made her drink at least 100 CC yesterday :tonguewiggle ) so the vet only did 100cc of SC fluids, gave us the rest of the bag in case we needed it, and sent us home with some critical care.

"Her" vet wasn't in today, but I liked the new one, too :) She's been in training with the "main" bunny vet, and really knows her stuff. No mention of "hairballs" or motility drugs :)

And about 5 minutes after we came home, Hazel started munching on her veggies! That vet must have worked miracles, LOL. Or she scared Hazel that much, she REALLY does not want to go back, LOL

Just kidding ofcourse, Hazel was really good at the vets, didn't even flinch when the needle went in :)

I'm glad she's feeling better!

Had you given simethicone or tummy rubs? I'm wondering if it was just a little gas, because the rumbling of the car can help relieve that. I did the exact same thing with Mocha once.:)

Poor Hazel! It really is the season for this sort of thing..... :expressionless

I'm glad she's feeling a little better now. I hope she continues to improve!

Hazel seems to be feeling a bit better today. She's munched on her veggies, drank some water. Not enough, though, so I'll have to keep syringing.

Question: she had some runny poo today, could that be because I fed Critical Care and she is not used to it? Or does that not normally happen.

I'll be talking with her vet today (she said she'd call, they always do follow up it seems( but I was just wondering wether anyone had this happen too.

Naturestee: yes, Simethicone is usually one of the first things we give her. That's usually done the trick so far, often after just one dose. This time is just different.

Hazel-Mom wrote:
Question: she had some runny poo today, could that be because I fed Critical Care and she is not used to it? Or does that not normally happen.

It's hard to say whether runny poos could be due to a virus that may have caused the stasis in the first place, bacterial overgrowth due to the stasis, or what she was fed.

Pam

someimes in stasis the rabbit can actually have some diarrhea or pudding like stools ; I have never had this happen with one of mine but have read that it does occur. her gut is definitely not stabilized

can you try some benebac? You can get it in powder or gel form at petco or get the kind for horses in a big tube at a farm type store. ; it is called probios ..
it could be from to much sugar in the pineapple jice also ...

Ithink you should run it past your vet

I didn't give her pineapple juice, tried that before once and she didn't like it at all.

The vet didn't think the benebac was necesary, since the Critical Care has the same things in it. It also has pineapple and papaya.

I'll definitely ask the vet when she calls back though.

Hazel-Mom wrote:
I didn't give her pineapple juice, tried that before once and she didn't like it at all.

The vet didn't think the benebac was necesary, since the Critical Care has the same things in it. It also has pineapple and papaya.

I'll definitely ask the vet when she calls back though.

You're right ............
CC has probotics in it
here is an article by dana kremepels which is imformative despite her belief in routine use of gut motility drugs . it does mention diarrhea as a symtom of stasis and also that it is a process to overcome it. is there any mucous in the poop?..if there is be sure and pass that info on to the vet

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.pdf

Thanks for the info on bene-bac in a larger tube. I got the dog kind, which comes in these tiny tubes that are hard to handle and really small. Also that article is great.

What struck me most about the article was the comment that ileus can resolve in "fits and starts," so having a bit of abnormal poo (or even normal poo) and then going back to stasis is not uncommon. It may be that Hazel is working the bad stuff out of her system (ie the fecal matter containing bacteria and such where the motility was reduced initially). Definitely run it by your vet to see if she needs other probiotics or antibiotics, though.

Apart from the "pudding poo" she's doing fairly good.
She's a lot more active today, nibbling on her veggies and drinking from her water bowl once in a while.
And running from me, especially when she thinks I have the critical caare in my hands, LOL.
She's made it clear she does NOT want syringeing today.
She's still not eating and drinking enough on her own, though, so she'll have to be syringed later on.

Latest posts

Back