HayHayHay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepnclo

BlessTheirCottontail
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone here does for/with hay?

I'm currently buying bales but storing them in my storage locker as I live in an apartment and there is hay everywhere. I just feel like there's has gotta be a better way in terms of storage it

We found GIANT trash bags that actually fits a full bale of hay. So we use that and keep in the garage. Don't ask where I found them because for the life of me a can't remember lol.

I store the majority of my bales in cardboard boxes in a cupboard, and then pull off pieces to give the buns and put it in a plastic trash can next to their cage. :)

I don't think there's a neat way to do it. One of my classmates that used to have a house rabbit but knows I'm rabbit obsessed once came into my room and said "oh good, you get hay everywhere too!". I think it just comes with the territory.

I kinda do it a bit strange :upsidedown:

I keep a full size hay bale outside wrapped in a tarp. (We're in the desert, so humidity is not a worry.) It's a bit far back on the property.
Then on the back porch, I keep a 35 gallon plastic tub that I fill from the hay bale as needed.
I then keep a kitchen trash can in the laundry room that I fill from the tub on the porch as needed.

It works well since I have easy access inside the house to the hay for twice daily refreshes in the litter box. Then when the trash can runs low, I just need to refill from the plastic tub.

I don't feel so bad anymore but still, there's got to be a way! I didn't mind it so much until I noticed I've stopped inviting friends to come over because I don't want them to see :(

Oh well, what hay does every one down under feed their rabbits? Do a lot of people splash out and buy timothy hay?

Trix here-

Hay must be everywhere!!!!! It is a decree by the Great Bunny, and we better listen to her!!!!! Dumpy has just learnt to accept that fact. I get mad when Dumpy cleans up hays and poopy doops. But I still love Dumpy.

Love,

Trix

I'm renting so have room outside for my hay. I buy a bale and then bag it up into woven plastic bags (garden bags) like this sort of thing: http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m91MBTljIK-FOC9qVsoVPaQ.jpg You can buy them from bunnings. If you don't have a space to do this outside, I wouldn't recommend breaking it down into bags indoors.

If you can get a really big plastic storage tub, you could keep it in that if you had a couple of vent holes, or one of those outdoor storage tub/seats https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...&sa=X&ei=98DiVID_JYOl8AX97oIo&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ though they can be pretty pricey. Some people buy wheelie bins and put them in there, though again you have to make sure they're vented. Otherwise, I have seen (though I don't know where you get them) canvas hay bags. They usually zip or velcro up.

I don't fork out for timothy hay, it's not worth it when we can get good quality hay here anyway. I do splash out and buy the oxbow pellets though, since they're timothy based and not alfalfa/lucerne based like everything else over here.

Thanks! How many bags do you need for a bale?

So it seems the hays easily accessible to me are oaten, meadow & wheaten but I can only fit 2 where I am storing them. Which 2 would you get?

(Sorry about all the questions but there is so much conflicting information on the internet and it makes me anxious lol)

Thanks! How many bags do you need for a bale?

So it seems the hays easily accessible to me are oaten, meadow & wheaten but I can only fit 2 where I am storing them. Which 2 would you get?

(Sorry about all the questions but there is so much conflicting information on the internet and it makes me anxious lol)

I usually use at least 4 large bags, though it depends how finely I break the bale up. You could probably quite easily fit it in less if you just pulled the flakes off and shoved them in, but I like to break them up, shake them out a bit as it helps me find seed heads to remove etc.

Yes there is conflicting information. I agree that meadow is the way to go. The only thing to watch out for is that occasionally it can be a bit fine and not course enough (so doesn't wear the teeth well). So depending on how it looks, you may need to either get wheaten or oaten as well, but it's usually fine. The trouble with the latter two is that there's often a lot of seed heads, and you need to remove them before feeding, because not only can they lead to weight gain if they get a lot of them, but they can also get stuck in their fur and throat which can have serious complications. A lady I know recently lost a bunn to an oaten seed stuck in the throat. On the other hand, they're nice course hay for wearing those teeth :)

Latest posts

Back