Hay storage!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arloismybunny

Reaction score
Arlo is 4 months old! I’ve had him for 2 months! I usually keep the hay in the bag but I’ve been thinking about storing it in a different place! Are plastic bins good for storing hay? Just wondering what suggestions anyone may have for storing hay! I always keep the bag in the downstairs closet because I know it’s best to keep hay in a dark cool place!

Arlo is 4 months old! I’ve had him for 2 months! I usually keep the hay in the bag but I’ve been thinking about storing it in a different place! Are plastic bins good for storing hay? Just wondering what suggestions anyone may have for storing hay! I always keep the bag in the downstairs closet because I know it’s best to keep hay in a dark cool place!
Would something like this be good?

Attachments

• 0A5D1981-EF89-4927-9B5A-FF1B35C6FBCA.png
    0A5D1981-EF89-4927-9B5A-FF1B35C6FBCA.png
    348.5 KB · Views: 3
My understanding of hay is that plastic bins are fine as long as there is some ventilation/air flow, so either keeping the lid somewhat open or putting holes/vents into it so it's not so air-tight.

I think that bag is fine, though practically I imagine it might be a bit of a mess transferring hay from the bag you purchased it from into a different bag! Perhaps if the bag you show is bigger than the hay bag size you purchase, that transfer can go more smoothly (i.e. less dusty!).

The cotton bag would be a better choice than a plastic bin in humid environments, as it allows for good air flow. This can be especially important so as to prevent mold growth. In an environment with very little humidity like where I'm at, a plastic bin can work fine.

Ahhh thank you both so much! I went to pet smart today to get a new bag of hay and I’ve been so worried this entire time that the bags been infected with RHDV2 because I don’t have an effective disinfectant for it! My mom keeps telling me I’m being overly paranoid! Anyways thanks I’ll go to the store tomorrow to get a bag!

The risk of infection from hay is going to be minimal. But even though a slight possibility, not much can be done until the US approves the vaccination with all vets, in all states. All you can do is your best to keep your bun relatively safe until the vaccination is widely available to rabbit owners here.

The risk of infection from hay is going to be minimal. But even though a slight possibility, not much can be done until the US approves the vaccination with all vets, in all states. All you can do is your best to keep your bun relatively safe until the vaccination is widely available to rabbit owners here.
It’s not the hay itself but the bag of hay because it was on the shelf in the pet store and I’m paranoid that another bunny Owner touched that bag and that they were carrying the virus on their hands or something! I just have a lot of anxiety but I’m sure he’ll be fine.

Ahhh thank you both so much! I went to pet smart today to get a new bag of hay and I’ve been so worried this entire time that the bags been infected with RHDV2 because I don’t have an effective disinfectant for it! My mom keeps telling me I’m being overly paranoid! Anyways thanks I’ll go to the store tomorrow to get a bag!
Here's a link about various hay brands & RHVD2:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threa...s-from-sherwood-oxbow-small-pet-select.99171/

I use this for my rabbit’s hay and it stores very well. Even when I buy the 9lb box of Oxbow hay, I'm able to empty everything neatly into one bag and it's only about 3/4 full. It has a wide base so the bag of hay doesn't tumble over. Love it!

MCleanPin Washable Laundry Bags... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VB77TSG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Latest posts

Back