Hay question!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy699

Reaction score
Some advice please

So I got my rabbit a new hay rack a few weeks ago, she loved it, but just over the past couple of days she hasn’t been eating it, this morning she hadn’t had any or a small amount and then I went to work all day today and the same amount is there. I just put some hay in her bowl and she ate a bit. But I can’t be doing that all the time as the bowl will only hold a little bit. Not enough for what she needs to eat. She has been fussy with hay, when it gets near the end of the bag she just won’t eat it until I buy fresh.

Past couple of days she’s been very moody, we just fostered 4 bunnies but they’re not having their vaccinations until next week so she can’t be near them, plus 3 are boys so they can’t be together until neutered. She’s been chinning things that I guess she can smell the other bunnies on, and she knows they’re there and I guess she’s mad because she doesn’t understand why she can’t play with them. She’s been thumping, and when I go to put her food in her bowl she tries to lunge for me which she has never done before. The 4 bunnies I have got eat hay so good, I’ve never seen bunnies that have loved hay this much, I just filled it up 10 minutes ago and it’s almost all gone, they love it. My other bunny has always been fussy but I know it can’t be the hay otherwise the other 4 wouldn’t eat it.

Please advise!

I just cleaned her litter tray and put fresh hay in her litter tray and she’s just eating it! But I’m just wondering why all of a sudden she hates her hay rack

If she's eating hay fine from her bowl or litter box, then I would say that something probably happened to make her not want to eat out of the hay rack. Not knowing what your hay rack looks like, possible reasons I can think of would be her head getting stuck, the position of it or how it's constructed makes it uncomfortable for her to eat out of, or maybe she accidentally got poked in the eye and that's why she's now avoiding it.

If she's eating hay fine from her bowl or litter box, then I would say that something probably happened to make her not want to eat out of the hay rack. Not knowing what your hay rack looks like, possible reasons I can think of would be her head getting stuck, the position of it or how it's constructed makes it uncomfortable for her to eat out of, or maybe she accidentally got poked in the eye and that's why she's now avoiding it.

She was fine after a while, I sat with her for a few hours and she was fine, just wanted attention

My little girl has just started pushing her hay out of her litter box. She has never done this before but now as soon as I put new hay in her box she moves it around and makes a little nest. She is doing a lot of digging and pushing things around but I had her spayed 6 months ago so her behavior is baffling me. I give her a variety of three hay mix and she has been happy with it for a year. Is this behavior normal. This is my first bunny and so I am not familiar with all the things they do. She will be two in May and just wondered if anyone has had the same issue.

Latest posts

Back