Hay Cubes...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kricket

Reaction score
Can anyone kindly share their thoughts on haycubes? I did a search and found a few replies about haycubes, and heard it is good for teeth. Are hay cubes alsogood for a source of fiber?

Pam, I believe you've mentioned that you don't feed hay. Do you use cubes?

Also, trying to cut calories from their diet, I've been trying toswitch the buns from alfalfa to timothy. They prefer alfalfainstead. I have been giving the buns timothy hay cubes andthey are actually eating it! :D Are thetimothyhaycubes the equivalent to actualhay? :?

Thanks for reading!

Hugs! Shorty, Star & Krick

I try to give straw to the babies frequently tobe sure their teeth are wearing properly, however, we have too manyrabbits to give them hay continually -- plus it makes a bigmess. My rabbits never really liked the hay cubes, so I nolonger buy them.

I do recommend giving hay if you are able to. Hay cubes canbe a good substitute. Timothy hay cubes are a good substitutefor timothy hay.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Itry to give straw to the babies frequently to be sure their teeth arewearing properly, however, we have too many rabbits to give them haycontinually -- plus it makes a big mess. My rabbits neverreally liked the hay cubes, so I no longer buy them.

I do recommend giving hay if you are able to. Hay cubes canbe a good substitute. Timothy hay cubes are a good substitutefor timothy hay.

Pam

Thanks, Pam :)

Under your experience and expertise, if a bun istooheavy,and refuses Timothy hay, and only wants alfalfa hay,are the timothy hay cubes better for their diet? Thanks K

Kricket,

I use the Oxbow Hay Cakes for Toby. He's not crazy about haylike the girls, so he gets the cakes. They are 100% Timothyhay, just compressed into the cubes. He loves them.

Laura

Kilie and I use the cubes. I broken down one dayafter my roommate was complaing about Kilie dragging hay through theapartment. And I haven't looked back since. No more mess and she lovesthem. Try breaking them in half. Kilie didn't know what to think of themini bales until I broke it open. Good luck!

Thanks y'all for the advice! Shortyand Star have taken to the Timothy Cubes quite nicely. I amweening them off of alfalfa and feel bad sometimes. I try tomix the timothy hay with alfalfa and they pick out the alfalfa andleave the timothy hay :(

Thought I would try these Timothy Cubes and they LOVE them! I just bought another bag today :p

Just asking, but have you tried treating thetimothy like a treat? Putting it in toilet paper tubes andother toys in their cage and out in the room can make it seem morespecial to them. I wasn't sure if you were doing anythinglike this.

That is a great idea! I also got oneof those hay racks and put orchard grass and the timothy hay init. I think they ate a bit out of curiosity. But Iguess they know they will get alfalfa, so maybe they holdout....? When this bag of alfalfa is gone...that is it forthem. And can I tell you-I feel so bad :( but Idon't want them to become obese.

Kricket wrote:
That is a great idea! I also got one of those hayracks and put orchard grass and the timothy hay in it. Ithink they ate a bit out of curiosity. But I guess they knowthey will get alfalfa, so maybe they hold out....? When thisbag of alfalfa is gone...that is it for them. And can I tellyou-I feel so bad :( but I don't want them to becomeobese.
Since the Alphalfa is almost done, you should start gradually mixingsome of the timothy or orchard grass in with the alfalfa - sort of likeswitching pellets. That way he'll eat the alphalfa, get amouthful of the timothy once in a while and get used to it? Ihave to do that with Cookie whenever I get a new bag of hay - at firsthe'll pick through the new stuff, but eventually he starts eating ittoo. If I switch him over cold, he won't even touchit. Don't know if that may help.

Latest posts

Back