Hay Cakes/cubes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenni

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good place to order hay cakes/cubes online that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shipping?

Hi Jenni,

I buy mine at the Pet Goods store by us.
I get both the alfalfa and timothy cubes made by Kaytee. Each costs $3.99.

PetSmart charges $6.95 for shipping online orders under $25.

52567_515f9.jpg

Eve wrote:
Oh how mybunnies would love those! I havn't been able to find them in Australia.

My bunnies get them twice a week as treats. They go nuts over them....and there's really nothing so special in them....no added ingredients besides the hay. Great healthy treat!!

I give them the timothy cubes. The alfalfa cubes are high in protein.
I only gave the alfalfa ones to MooShu when she needed to put on some weight, however she had a hard time with the extra protein and started to get excess cecals and the starts of soft/mushy poops.

I'm so pleased, I have finallyfoundsome of these! They are timothy hay too, which is great as we usuallyonly have alfalfa based products here. They smell so sweet anddelicious, Layla is loving them :)

Hi Eve! where didyou getthose hay cubes,sooooo where did you find these?,and it would just bemy luck that they sell them in Victoria but not South Australia,werethey from a pet shop? i have not been able to find anything like themhere in South Australia

cheryl

Hi Cheryl! I have been looking for these forages andhadn't been able to find them anywhereinpet shopsuntil now. Ifoundthemat a huge pet superstore in Springvale. They are a brandcalled Brown's and come in both Timothy and Alfalfa hay. I won't begoing there for a while as it's a bit far, but next time I go I'd behappy to get you a few boxes and send them to you :)

Hi Eve!

i know,i have been looking for them everywhere as well but cannot findthem anywhere!. That would be lovely of you if you could do that,if youdo go there next time just let me know and i can send you the money forthem:)

Hehe,you mention about Layla loving them,does Rodney like them as well?

cheryl

I was acctually thinking of you whenIwas in the shop buyingthem because I thought youmightlike some. Just let me know whether you prefer Alfalfahay cubes or the Timothy hay cubes, and how many boxes, incase I amspontaneously driving past there one day. They are $12 for a 567g boxwhich is a bit pricey, but they seem to last a fair while. If your bunslike them I can send them to you regularly :)

Rodney doesn't seem as keen on them as Layla, but he is a bit of agrumpy boy and generally isn't too keen to try anything new. He refusesto eat strawberries and blueberries! But I have seen him nibbling onthe cubes a few times. Layla on the other hand will sit there till shehas finished the whole cube, they keep her pretty entertained.

Thanks so much Eve! i would prefer the Timothycubes and i would just make it two packets just to try themfirst,well..not me but the bunnies lol

i'm sure they will like them though and it will be something new for them to enjoy:D

Rodney sounds like a fussy little boy,but i have a few of those,theywon't eat strawberries either,i haven't tried blueberries but i triedraspberries and they just would not have anything to do with them,butif i give them a banana they hog into it like little pigs:)

Anyway thanks heaps Eve:)

cheryl

No problem :)I chose the Timothy cubestoo, it seems like a nice change from the alfalfa-based-everything wehave here. I just can't get over how sweet and beautifulitsmells, I so wish we had that hay.

:lol:Your bunnies hogging into the banana like little pigssounds so cute. Rodney even turns his nose up at banana, he is veryhard to please.

Yeah i wish we had that hay here as well.Thecubes may be pricey because they are imported to Australia so the priceis to be expected i suppose,but they wouldn't hurt as a treatthough,anyway i love spoiling the bunnies:)

Rodney really does sound picky,but isn't it funny though how a bunnycan be picky with their food,you would think being a rabbit that theywould eat anything you give them,my girls are no ladies when it comesto something yummy

And once again Eve,thanks for even thinking about doing this:)

cheryl

"I chose the Timothy cubes too, it seems like a nice change from the alfalfa-based-everything we have here."

I buy the Kaytee timothy cubes for my buns.

The only thing about the alfalfa cubes it the high % of protein. You'llwant to keep this in mind, especially if your bunnies have any problemshandling the higher protein diets. My bunnies like both equally, but acouple will get soft mushy poops for the followng days if I give themthe alfalfa cubes.
I pay $3.99 USD for 1 lb of cubes. The timothy cubes contain alfalfa,but only enough to be sufficent for processing. They contain nopreservatives.

Hi JimD!

Thank you for the advice :). You're right, Iprobablyshouldn'tbetrying the alfalfa cubes at all in thefututre, and will stick to the Timothy hay ones. The proteininmybunniesdiets is probably already highenough because of the alfalfa pellets they eat.

Just a quick question, the ingredients on the boxonlysayTimothy hay. Does this mean that I can free feed thesecubes or should they be given in moderation?

Eve wrote:
Justa quick question, the ingredients on the boxonlysayTimothy hay. Does this mean that I can free feed thesecubes or should they be given in moderation?

This is the analysis I found for the Kaytee Timothy Cubes...

"Kaytee Timothy Cubes are compressed blocks of nutritioussun-cured timothy hay that are ideal as a natural treat for rabbits.High quality hay aids the natural digestive process of rabbits byproviding fiber. Because timothy hay is lower in calcium, it maydecrease the likelihood of urinary tract problems.
Ingrediants:Sun-cured timothy hay, Sun-cured alfalfa hay(sufficient for processing) Contains no artificial color orpreservatives.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.)................6.0%
Crude Fat (min.)....................2.0%
Crude Fiber (max.).................32.0%
Moisture (max.)....................12.0%
Calcium (min.).....................0.25%
Calcium (max.).....................0.75% "

It's the same analysis as the regular bags of Kaytee Timothy hay.

I give the cubesto my buns twice a week. The cost works outto twice what I pay for hay. Each 1 lb pack costs $4 and there's 8 or 9cubes....just enough for one piece per bunny (well 2 for "Toostie theBigga-bun").

Eve wrote:
Hi JimD!

Thank you for the advice :). You're right, Iprobablyshouldn'tbetrying the alfalfa cubes at all in thefututre, and will stick to the Timothy hay ones. The proteininmybunniesdiets is probably already highenough because of the alfalfa pellets they eat.

The alfalfa cubes have 12% protien. One cube is approx 2 oz, so itwould almost be like doubling the pellets for my buns.....if the cubeswere given in addition to the pellets.

At one point, I was considering replacing haywith the hay cakes. My bunnies make such a mess with theirhay.

I also considered cutting the hay with scissors to make the strandsshorter (so I could pick up the mess with a hand-vac).

I was told that bunnies need the long strands for their digestive health. Has anyone else heard this?

Don't they just chew the hay up into bits anyway?

Laura wrote:
Atone point, I was considering replacing hay with the haycakes. My bunnies make such a mess with their hay.

I also considered cutting the hay with scissors to make the strandsshorter (so I could pick up the mess with a hand-vac).

I was told that bunnies need the long strands for their digestive health. Has anyone else heard this?

Don't they just chew the hay up into bits anyway?
My buns make such a mess, too!!! Especially Brindle! She does the "HayDance" every time I fill her hayrack. She empties the rack...tosses thehay all over....stomps around on it....and then lays down in the middleof the mess and select the pieces she wants. Most of it falls throughthe wire bottom of her cage and ends up in the drop pan. Good thingshe's cute!!

I don't mind cleaning it up, but I have a problem with the longpieces....they get stuck in the vac hose and it eventually clogs up.Smaller pieces would just fall through the wireeasier.

I think I asked about the "long strands" a while back....don't remember if I got an answer, though.

Latest posts

Back