Hay bales damp inside?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayen

Reaction score
I recently bought a couple of hay bales after searching for a local place to buy them all summer. I opened the first one up and the grass is still really damp on the inside. Is there anyway to dry it a bit more? Is it safe to feed to my rabbits? It doesn't smell all that rancid and I haven't seen any mould yet from the bit I broke off. It's been rather rainy here the last little while and the bales were stored outside.

Nevermind, after leaving it out for awhile I can see mould everywhere. Yay. You'd think living in a place filled to the brim with hay it would be easier to find to buy, but I can't find anyone who will sell me anything! Back to the store bought hay for now I guess.

Do you know anyone with horses? Most boarding places buy hay by the truck load. You can ask the manager if you can buy a couple bales. If you don't know anyone with a horse, contact some local barns and stables to see if you can get something.

Post an add on Kijiji and/or Craigslist. I have found hay that way. You may have to drive a bit, but it still works out cheaper then store bought. Try to post in the farm section or the livestock area as you might get more responses that way.

Latest posts

Back