Hay and Treats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I typically buy my hay by the bale from a local farmer cheaper to buy by the bale if you have the room. Treats I usually just give any rabbit safe fruit I have laying around but no more than 1-2 tablespoons per day. So that's one slice of apple or a one-inch slice of banana, not both. Raisins are great too. Make sure you don't give seeds of anything most are not good for rabbits.

I buy my hay from the hayboxclub because it’s good quality hay for fairly cheap. The bigger the box, the cheaper the prices. So I just get a 5kg (it costs about £25 something like that) box which lasts about a month and a half for us (and that’s with me being generous, using it in his litter box and hay rack!)

As for treats, smallpetselect has good herbal medleys and Apollo really liked the strawberry block things. But as of right now, I just give him a small bit of fruit (banana, grape, apple) anything I have in the house.

Hi there! I've lived in MD! I'd check out feed stores. Just google and see if they sell hay by the bale (or half bale). That's the cheapest way to get hay. Just be sure you physically look at the bale before purchasing. (I always ask if I can see the bales if they store them hidden out back.) I like to see that they look fresh/green.

I don't buy packaged rabbit treats as almost all of them are pure junk -- some are even harmful! I stick with fresh or dried fruit -- always small quantities (1-2 tbsp per day). Here's an informative page on treats that explains what to avoid and what is safe.

Hi Everyone,
Where do you purchase your hay and treats from?

Thank you.
I buy hay on Amazon from Small Pet Select. A 12pd box of 2nd cut Timothy hay costs about $29 and lasts my 5pd Holland lop around 2.5 months. I get treats through Binxbox bunny when not using tiny pieces of fresh fruit or some oats

I get my hay from a local farmer. For treats, you can't go wrong with a tiny piece of an apple, banana, carrot, or other fruit. It's cheap and I guarantee you have at least one of these in your house. Just make sure you give it to your bunny in moderation because they are high in sugar. I also give my bunny Sunseed Animalovens Small Animal Treat. He goes CRAZY for them and will do literally anything to get it lol.

I buy hay (and occasionally a few trests) from Small Pet Select. Good prices & quick/free shipping in the US.

I get most treats from the local grocery/Wal-Mart type store around here. Not healthy, but they love the generic alfalfa Os.

I purchase willow chew items from Binky Bunny. Shipping is expensive, so I only order every year or two when I want quite a few items.

I get hay from House Rabbit Society when I go there. One huge bag is $13, and it lasts my rabbit for almost 2 months. Treats/foliage snacks, I also get from there, as I’ve learned that my rabbit is quite particular with her treats. One thing I’ve picked up on Amazon is the Timothy Hay cubes, they’re about $2 and last for a couple of weeks.

Hi Everyone,
Where do you purchase your hay and treats from?

Thank you.
When talking hay, local feed stores or farmers is the way to go! The hay is fresh, cheaper in bulk, and you can trust the quality and source. That's how I do all my hay shopping. BUT, if you don't have a local on hand, a Petco or Walmart will do. Kaytee brand hay comes in a variety of mixtures and flavors, and it's sold in pretty much every box store.

As for treats, rabbits can have a variety of things (in moderation, of course). A few untreated rose petals in their salad, some hibiscus leaves or flowers, small amounts of fruits or vegetables. I try to buy all my bunny treats at farmer's markets, because the local farmers in my area are completely pesticide free and they will give me leftover greens like carrot tops and 'ugly' produce for free.

Another option is to look into visiting your local chapter of the HRS. The house rabbit society is a non profit bunny rescue and they have stores to keep their operations running where they sell all kinds of treats, hay boxes, and bunny supplies. Their MD website can be found here: http://rabbitsinthehouse.org/

I get my hay from Amazon, small pet select. I had bad luck with the compressed bales at my local tractor supply, they were super dusty and the bunnies wouldn't touch them.

For treats they get tiny slices of apples and a cheerio or a bran flake (unsweetened plain cereal) Sometimes they get a bite of banana. Like I hold out the banana, they take a bite, so it fits their size, lol. In winter they get a half tsp of old fashioned oats from time to time. Oh, and violet flowers...my yard is full of violets, they love the leaves and flowers!

Most of my rabbits haven't cared for carrots. Generally they each have very individual tastes and what's a treat for one gets an eye roll from another, except for bananas which I think they have all loved.

Latest posts

Back