Have you seen the Holland Barbie--complete with a bun companion?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Apparently, Mattel has created Holland Barbie, who comes with a Holland Lop rabbit. See here: http://shop.mattel.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13002269.

I have mixed feelings about it. While I think that the doll and rabbit figurine are cute, I hope that this toy doesn't inspire young children to want a pet rabbit.

I debated whether to put this post here or in the Let Your Hare Down forum. But since it technically involves a rabbit... :wink

That page also includes a video which explains a bit of their reasoning of including the "pets" with each of their Barbie Dolls of the World collection. Children all love animals whether they are real live animals or stuffed toy animals. You can't walk into a Walmart or any store that sells toys without seeing stuffed animals or other animal toys. So while this toy may get kids interested in bunnies, I don't think any more than any other bunny toy would. It is unfortunate that many parents do indulge their children getting them anything & everything they want with little to know thought.

I think the real problem are the parents who indulge every whimsical request their child comes up with - especially when it involves a living being.
I remember seeing photos on facebook where a friend from high school was celebrating her son's second birthday party. To my extreme disappointment there was a photo of a scared bunny, being held improperly many feet above the ground with a screaming laughing baby in its face.
Maybe I'm just callous because I really hate kids... But I really don't think small children should be allowed to interact with bunnies.

Moreso, I think, the way the Barbie is posed holding the rabbit will just perpetuate the myth that rabbits like to be held and 'walked around with.'

Latest posts

Back