Have to move my rabbits outside, how do I make them safe and comfortable?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He should get used to it, but if he absolutely won't walk on the smooth surface of the cage bottom and starts staying put in the litter box because of it, you may just have to make the cage one big litter box filled with wood pellet litter until you can figure something else out. Some people use textured linoleum for their rabbits, so that may be something that could work for your bun, or he may hate that too. Rabbits are a trial and error experiment. You think something will work and you try it out, only to find that it doesn't and you have to find a different solution.

But definitely get the wood pellet litter and give it a try. It's great at odor control and absorbing the urine. I've tried several different litter types for my rabbits and found it works the best. Not sure what you will have available to you, but if you have farm stores near you, they may have the wood pellet equine bedding, which is what I use and is cheaper than buying the wood pellet litter for pets. If you can, also use the hay over the top. It also helps with keeping the odors down. Though you may need to clean out the old hay every few days as it gets wet with urine. I usually clean out the old wet hay every 3-4 days, but it just depends on your rabbits. You may be able to go longer than that with your buns. You just don't want mold or bacteria to start growing in there so changing more frequently is better than leaving it too long.
Thank you, I feel like this will definitely improve the chance of me keeping them inside.
I'll see what works for my little guy and go from there :)

Is he neutered? Unneutered rabbits are much harder to litter train, and they may be litter trained before hormones kick in and then after hormones kick in it's like they forget everything. Oh and just to add make sure the pellets are not Cedar, pine should be fine as long as they are kiln-dried and I think the pine pellets are.

Is he neutered? Unneutered rabbits are much harder to litter train, and they may be litter trained before hormones kick in and then after hormones kick in it's like they forget everything. Oh and just to add make sure the pellets are not Cedar, pine should be fine as long as they are kiln-dried and I think the pine pellets are.
Yeah he's neutered, but it is very recent
So with any luck that'll help get him using the litter box

Thank you
I know one of my rabbits is a digging fanatic so he'll be happy.
In regards to keeping them 1m off the ground, can I simply put in wooden planks or something.
I was looking up online last night and people were saying wire flooring - however I was under the impression that it would hurt since the weight isn't evenly distributed over their feet.
I've attached the cage I will be using (sorry for the edited version, the seller of the cage only sent me pics with their kids next to it and I didn't want to post them)

My hutch has wire floors (that I cover)yet every time I cover the wire they uncover it. A human on wire above ground would be painful because we are heavy ,though it’s uncomfortable and can definitely cause problems for them... rabbits are light and as long as they have somewhere to escape from it the wire it’s fine..since I have lots of boxes in my garage ...I cut them up as covers they can chew and shred and replace them every two days.

If you end up having to put your rabbit outside it should be okay. My rabbit is outside in a hutch/playpen (located in our shed).

He stays cold in the summer because of the concrete floor (I have things over the floor in some areas so that he doesn't hurt his paws) and the frozen water bottles that I provide for him.

He stays warm in the winter because I have a sheet for him and a heated dog bed (which doesn't have to be plugged in).

He is litter trained and only goes to the bathroom on the top floor (he occasionally will poop on the bottom floor, but not on purpose). I also use wood pellets and they work great!

You can also put Window insulators on the hutch to keep them warm (check out the link). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...e=w61&tag=thcaco06-20&linkId=E3U5XPSN5FG6T4ZH

I hope you can convince Nan to let them stay inside! I'm working on bringing mine inside right now! ;)

If you end up having to put your rabbit outside it should be okay. My rabbit is outside in a hutch/playpen (located in our shed).

He stays cold in the summer because of the concrete floor (I have things over the floor in some areas so that he doesn't hurt his paws) and the frozen water bottles that I provide for him.

He stays warm in the winter because I have a sheet for him and a heated dog bed (which doesn't have to be plugged in).

He is litter trained and only goes to the bathroom on the top floor (he occasionally will poop on the bottom floor, but not on purpose). I also use wood pellets and they work great!

You can also put Window insulators on the hutch to keep them warm (check out the link). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...e=w61&tag=thcaco06-20&linkId=E3U5XPSN5FG6T4ZH

I hope you can convince Nan to let them stay inside! I'm working on bringing mine inside right now! ;)
Thank you for the advice, glad to know there are things I can do to ensure theit comfortable even outside.
Also good luck with getting your rabbits inside :)

My hutch has wire floors (that I cover)yet every time I cover the wire they uncover it. A human on wire above ground would be painful because we are heavy ,though it’s uncomfortable and can definitely cause problems for them... rabbits are light and as long as they have somewhere to escape from it the wire it’s fine..since I have lots of boxes in my garage ...I cut them up as covers they can chew and shred and replace them every two days.
Oh that's a good idea, if I can put wire on the bottom that would be best ad I know there are foxes where I live
Thanks for that :)

If you have foxes in your area, it's better to lock the rabbit in a hutch that are off the ground, during the night. Foxes are really smart predators and can easily break into cages. Myself have many foxes where I live. Even had neighbour get foxes walked into their homes.

Latest posts

Back