Have to move my rabbits outside, how do I make them safe and comfortable?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip and Dip

Reaction score
I unfortunately have to move my two rabbits outside as my Nan believe's they stink too much.
So I was hoping for everyone's tips and tricks on how to keep the rabbits healthy and comfortable.
Thanks to anyone who replies.

The cage will need to be off the ground, at least 1 m up before the floor start. This is to protect them from predators and also protect a little from the cold. The cage won’t protect against humans but the rest will keep them safe.

You can connect a pen to the hutch, so they can come out during the day to play. Make sure to have mesh over the pen to protect them from birds, jumping out and so on.

Fill up the holes they dig after a while so they dosen’t dig out but still can dig as much they want. Some rabbits truly love digging. But have mesh near the edges off the pen, So if they are digging it won’t be easy to dig out from the pen.

Have many hide places and tunnels to run into. Branches to chew and places to jump up on and sleep.

Thank you
I know one of my rabbits is a digging fanatic so he'll be happy.
In regards to keeping them 1m off the ground, can I simply put in wooden planks or something.
I was looking up online last night and people were saying wire flooring - however I was under the impression that it would hurt since the weight isn't evenly distributed over their feet.
I've attached the cage I will be using (sorry for the edited version, the seller of the cage only sent me pics with their kids next to it and I didn't want to post them)

Attachments

• received_385338145632323.png
    received_385338145632323.png
    395.6 KB · Views: 28
What is the weather like where you are? Make sure they don't get too hot, they can die easily from overheating, at high humidity and around 85F is when it starts too get too hot for them. In summer they need shade, ice blocks, cold water, fans, frozen water bottles, frozen tiles, etc.

What is the weather like where you are? Make sure they don't get too hot, they can die easily from overheating, at high humidity and around 85F is when it starts too get too hot for them. In summer they need shade, ice blocks, cold water, fans, frozen water bottles, frozen tiles, etc.
Currently it's moving into winter so it's getting pretty cold (never cold enough to snow though). However I plan on keeping their indoor cages for summer, it gets pretty hot where I am and don't think they'd do well outside during the heat, like you said.

In my country wire floor aren’t allowed but so long it’s different flooring in the cage and they can rest on another flooring. Mesh won’t be a problem for them. If it only wire floor in the hutch put in planks and have mesh on the ground floor.

Because you need to be able to lock them in during night with no animals being able to dig in.

If you have rabbit disease in your area make sure to vaccinate your rabbits yearly.

Don’t move them out until it get a little warmer, if the indoor temperature and outdoor are to big different. You can’t move them out, because it might be too cold for them.

In my country wire floor aren’t allowed but so long it’s different flooring in the cage and they can rest on another flooring. Mesh won’t be a problem for them. If it only wire floor in the hutch put in planks and have mesh on the ground floor.

Because you need to be able to lock them in during night with no animals being able to dig in.

If you have rabbit disease in your area make sure to vaccinate your rabbits yearly.

Don’t move them out until it get a little warmer, if the indoor temperature and outdoor are to big different. You can’t move them out, because it might be too cold for them.
The indoor and outdoor temperature isn't significantly better (it's an old house), the main concern I have is the wind. Will the nesting box be enough to protect them or should I put some sheet metal on the side of the cage too?

The nest box will protect them, so long there’s no holes in it. It’s the cage big enough to house two rabbits in the nesting box. Enough floor space for them, if it too small, fights will easily start up.

You could get a snuggle safe, it’s a little pad you heat in the microwave which keeps its heat overnight. They’re about £14 from Amazon and gives you peace of mind. You could also get a hutch cover? Your hutch is an unusual shape but have a look on eBay. It will give extra protections from wind and damp x

You could get a snuggle safe, it’s a little pad you heat in the microwave which keeps its heat overnight. They’re about £14 from Amazon and gives you peace of mind. You could also get a hutch cover? Your hutch is an unusual shape but have a look on eBay. It will give extra protections from wind and damp x
That sounds like a great idea thanks
I'll definitely invest in those!

The nest box will protect them, so long there’s no holes in it. It’s the cage big enough to house two rabbits in the nesting box. Enough floor space for them, if it too small, fights will easily start up.
I believe that it's big enough, the previous owner had two rabbits living in there and never seemed to have any issues. I'll include a picture of the cage in comparison to an adult Husky as well as a toddler (who will be coloured over)

Attachments

• 20190318_094457.png
    20190318_094457.png
    346.9 KB · Views: 17
If your nan will give your buns another chance being indoors, with some changes you may be able to make it so they no longer smell. I have 7 indoor rabbits and really the only smell from them is the smell of hay. Usually if you have the right litter box set up, it helps eliminate any odor problems. But having the right set up is essential.

But you would need to decide right away. With your outdoor temps getting colder, your rabbits will need time to develop a winter coat before the temps get too cold, so you would need to get them moved soon. In fact if your outdoor temps at night are more than 20 degrees cooler than your indoor temps it might already be too late to transition your buns to outdoor temperatures.

The indoor and outdoor temperatures aren't significantly different, it's an old house and she won't allow me to use a heater in their room. So pretty much all that happens inside is a slight temp increase and wind protection.
I'm definitely open for suggestions on how to reduce smell, I use fleece and chance the cage daily. The main reason for the smell I feel is that my male rabbit refuses to use the litter tray (cat litter tray). He's a large rabbit and produces a lot of urine that I can't remove regularly throughout the day.

The indoor and outdoor temperatures aren't significantly different, it's an old house and she won't allow me to use a heater in their room. So pretty much all that happens inside is a slight temp increase and wind protection.
I'm definitely open for suggestions on how to reduce smell, I use fleece and chance the cage daily. The main reason for the smell I feel is that my male rabbit refuses to use the litter tray (cat litter tray). He's a large rabbit and produces a lot of urine that I can't remove regularly throughout the day.
Can you post some pics of your current setup?

I'm currently at uni and don't have a current picture of the rabbit cage - I do have one of my guinea pig cage however which is pretty much the same set up if that'll work.
So it's like the picture provided (the corner litter trays have been removed from the cage btw and I was pretty quickly informed they didn't work once I got the little piggies) except with a smaller third cage attached that has the tray in it. That third cage is pretty much solely used for their litter - is this a good or bad thing?
Would it help if I completely knocked down the walls instead of using a ramp?

Attachments

• received_301771597174803.png
    received_301771597174803.png
    693.6 KB · Views: 19
That's very cool I was thinking of joining two cages myself :)
The question is why your male rabbit refuses to use the litter tray? Maybe litter box isn't big enough for him? If you have a little cage attached as a litter box maybe you want to use wood pellets as filling for it it absorbs smell of urine brilliantly even for a larger rabbit it could work for a couple days. My lop rabbit was very smelly too when i got her and wood pellets really helped.

wood-pellet.jpg

That's very cool I was thinking of joining two cages myself :)
The question is why your male rabbit refuses to use the litter tray? Maybe litter box isn't big enough for him? If you have a little cage attached as a litter box maybe you want to use wood pellets as filling for it it absorbs smell of urine brilliantly even for a larger rabbit it could work for a couple days. My lop rabbit was very smelly too when i got her and wood pellets really helped.

wood-pellet.jpg
That's a good idea :)
I was using a litter tray inside the smaller cage, but if I simply use the entire extra cage it for sure would be big enough!
Also I was simply using hay as a litter to change regularly, didn't even consider wooden pellet.

Thank you for your input - I'll be sure to give this a try.

I think your problem is the fleece. Also hay alone as litter won't control odor or absorb very well. Most rabbits LOVE to pee on soft things, even if they are litter trained. You really need the flooring to be a hard surface, at least for now. Rabbits tend not to like to pee on hard surfaces because they will get their feet wet.

If you want to see if it will work before moving them outdoors, then I would remove the fleece and just have the bottom of the cage bare. For the litter box, you want one large enough that they can move around comfortably and even stretch out and lay down in it, and with high enough sides that their bum doesn't hang over the edge when they pee having urine leak out over the edge. Then you want about a 1-1.5 inch layer of wood pellet litter in the litter box as it's the best at absorption and odor control. On top of that you want a thick enough layer of hay that the pellet litter won't shift around too much, with a pile of hay to eat in a non peeing corner, or in their hay rack if that's what they have. If you have a rabbit that's a digger, then you may also need a screen in between the litter and hay to prevent digging. Also thoroughly clean everything with white vinegar first to deodorize it all.

If that doesn't work you could always fill the whole cage with wood pellet litter as poopy poo suggested, and spot clean the wet spots as needed. That is if you prefer to have your buns indoors(which I sure do, especially in cold weather), and if your nan will agree.

So this is the set up I have and have used successfully for years. Only time it starts to smell is if I've waited too long to spot clean wet spots in the litter tray or to completely dump the ones that need a full clean. I do spot scooping every few days for the one bun that likes to pee in only one spot, and the other litter box where they spread their pee spots all over I usually clean out once a week.

Large litter box with 1-1.5 inch layer of wood pellet litter, and soft screen to prevent digging.

full

Wood pellet litter with hay spread over the top and hay in hay rack.

full

I am surprised that the fleece is a problem - glad you told me because I did not consider that.
I have convinced my nan for 2 weeks to get the smell under control so I'll be sure to give this a try!
My male rabbit has always had some form of bedding (hay from his old owner and fleece from me) and seems uncomfortable whenever he is in a cage without bedding - will he get over this or should I consider going back to hay as his old owner did?

He should get used to it, but if he absolutely won't walk on the smooth surface of the cage bottom and starts staying put in the litter box because of it, you may just have to make the cage one big litter box filled with wood pellet litter until you can figure something else out. Some people use textured linoleum for their rabbits, so that may be something that could work for your bun, or he may hate that too. Rabbits are a trial and error experiment. You think something will work and you try it out, only to find that it doesn't and you have to find a different solution.

But definitely get the wood pellet litter and give it a try. It's great at odor control and absorbing the urine. I've tried several different litter types for my rabbits and found it works the best. Not sure what you will have available to you, but if you have farm stores near you, they may have the wood pellet equine bedding, which is what I use and is cheaper than buying the wood pellet litter for pets. If you can, also use the hay over the top. It also helps with keeping the odors down. Though you may need to clean out the old hay every few days as it gets wet with urine. I usually clean out the old wet hay every 3-4 days, but it just depends on your rabbits. You may be able to go longer than that with your buns. You just don't want mold or bacteria to start growing in there so changing more frequently is better than leaving it too long.

Latest posts

Back